New to VW

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Casbantam
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match

New to VW

Post by Casbantam »

Hello all, I've just acquired a 2016 Polo 1.2 TSI Match and thought I'd join the forum to soak up the knowledge.
After a couple of days of ownership I think it's a cracking little car especially compared to my previous Hyundai i20. I think it will take a little getting used to as the pedals are very sensitive and setting off in 1st is sometimes tricky to get smooth. It's very nippy though through the gears and a smooth ride also.
One thing that stands out from the outside of the car is that the wheels look too small for the car 15 in currently. Has anyone got any advice on what size wheels and tyres can be put straight on with no complications. Do you think 16in would make much difference?
Thanks for any advice - Casbantam
PlymouthArgyle
New
Drives: 1.8 GTI

Re: New to VW

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

Welcome,

There are a couple websites in which you can enter the specs of your car & they can tell you what its capable of. Although I cannot remember them atm, hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Enjoy your polo!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

When you go up a wheel size, there is always the possibility that the ride quality will suffer, probably more with the cars with lower kerb weight.

My wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL came with 16" alloys with 7" wide rims and so that translates into 215/45 X 16 86H tyres wise, if you really want to go up another size to 17" alloys with 7" wide rims, the tyre size should be 215/40 X 17 87V.

If buying after market make sure that you get the offset (ET) in the correct range and the centre bore size correct as well as obviously the wheel fixing PCD.

Edit:- changed "read" to "ride" that was my mistake!
Last edited by RUM4MO on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated. Will probably go to 16s if I can find a good set. I know not much difference but they do seem to look better suited to the car.
MarkTS74
New
Drives: BlueGT (6c October 2014 build) 150ps

Post by MarkTS74 »

Personally I would go 17" (have BlueGT so standard) but driven other similar age Polo's don't think lose much ride comfort and the 215/40 size tyres sharpens up steering response nicely too.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Would 17 fit on my match without any mods?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Casbantam wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:47 pm Would 17 fit on my match without any mods?
The Polo BlueGT and GTI both have 17” wheels as standard, so 17” wheels will fit your Polo Match without modification, provided you don’t go for very wide wheels with too aggressive an offset - if you did, you could have rubbing issues. Remember that the PCD is 5x100 and centre bore is 57.1 for the 6c Polo if you’re considering aftermarket wheels rather that OEM VW Polo wheels.

The BlueGT’s wheels are 17x7J ET46 and the GTI’s wheels are 17x7.5J ET44 (both with 215x40/R17 tyres) and these fit comfortably.

There’s a handy wheel fitment calculator on willtheyfit.com. If you input details of your existing wheels and tyres and the wheels / tyres you’re considering getting, it’ll calculate any differences in clearance between the wheel inner face and suspension struts and outer face and wheel arch of the new wheels compared to your existing wheels.

https://www.willtheyfit.com
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Cheers for that SRGTD
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

I managed to get some 16 inch portago alloys at the weekend to stick on my 2016 match. These were from a 2015 SE Design so believe they should fit straight on in place of my 15 inch ones.
Probably a stupid question but as I don't know for sure I will ask anyway. Can I use my original studs for the wheels or do I need specific ones and secondly do the wheels need to go on in a specific way? Someone said they need balancing to the car ie front left back right etc. Never heard this before but sure someone on here would be able to confirm and push me in right direction.
Many thanks
Andy1273
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.2 tsi polo

Post by Andy1273 »

If you want some 16 inch genuine VW alloys I currently have my 16 inch Rivazza alloys for sale complete with tyres and new set of centre caps. Tyres fitted are 215/45R16 .
I'm selling because I went up a size to 17 inch.
Pm me for more details.
Attachments
20181216_140952.jpg
libb22ya
New
Drives: 6C

Post by libb22ya »

To go back to the first part of your post
as the pedals are very sensitive and setting off in 1st is sometimes tricky to get smooth.
Yes, same car, same problem. Add a sharp brake, and you are back to what seems like kangeroo petrol.
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Hi libb22ya,

I've just replied on another post (clutch) about this. I am used to the car now and it's great. How long have you had the car?
It did take me about 3 weeks to fully adjust my driving style to this car and now it's smooth as you like. Please have a look at the other post and see what advice I offered. Hopefully it may help you if you are having the same issues I had.
Fingers crossed. ATB Casbantam