Best place to get Dunlop sp sportmaxx tyres for my 2015 BlueGT

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TheGingerKid
New
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Best place to get Dunlop sp sportmaxx tyres for my 2015 BlueGT

Post by TheGingerKid »

Hey All,

So i had my service done a couple days ago and my front drivers side tyre is very bald 1.9mm haha so i need to source a new dunlop sp sportmaxx tyre.

The tyre size is 215/40/ZR17 i've done some shopping around myself but im just wondering if people with more experience in the whole buying of tyres etc has any tips to;

A) not get ripped off
B) get best value for money through reputable companies.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: Best place to get Dunlop sp sportmaxx tyres for my 2015 BlueGT

Post by Dink »

I've used black circles for the last couple of tyres I've bought.

Can get it all booked online, so pretty much turn up get them changed and away you go.

Imho I'd always at least change both tyres on the same axel (an also ask if you can have the front and rears swapped)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

You have to understand that really really good deals tend to be transient, so it all down to timing and luck to get the very best price.

That means that you really do need to do some work checking prices online.

Once I was buying Pirelli Zero Rosso to replace like for like on my S4 and for some reason I went further and checked the AA as I am a member, and they were best for that brand of tyre by a long way, and Pirelli were handing out "Love To Shop" vouchers on top of that! Now I know lots of money don't like these vouchers, but as it happened I had something lined up to buy that was just as cheap to buy from a source that took these vouchers, so these tyres ended up being very cheap when compared with other outlets.

I'd add "mytyres" into the mix - also if you don't know this, try getting an online price from places like KwikFit as at times these prices are quite a bit lower than their "walk in" prices.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 am I'd add "mytyres" into the mix - also if you don't know this, try getting an online price from places like KwikFit as at times these prices are quite a bit lower than their "walk in" prices.
I personally wouldn’t use Kwik Fit for tyres, even if they were the cheapest. They seem to get more mentions on forums than other (national) tyre retailers/fitters of them damaging customers wheels when fitting tyres.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:21 am
RUM4MO wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 am I'd add "mytyres" into the mix - also if you don't know this, try getting an online price from places like KwikFit as at times these prices are quite a bit lower than their "walk in" prices.
I personally wouldn’t use Kwik Fit for tyres, even if they were the cheapest. They seem to get more mentions on forums than other (national) tyre retailers/fitters of them damaging customers wheels when fitting tyres.
That will be a "location location location" issue that can apply to any tyre place, certainly I would never advise anyone to go near National Tyres as that was who AA Tyres use and a local branch left every alloy "nipped" from either bad working practice of duff equipment - though again that is one person's experience of one of their depots. I have to say that I thought that my local independent tyre place was spot on - going by my experiences of using them as a fitter for mytyres, but one day waiting to collect a car, I spotted their top man getting harassed while fitting brand new wide alloys onto a BMW - he answered his cordless phone, turned away from what he was doing and the new alloy he was about to bolt on the hub fell off and made an alloy to concrete contact loud noise - not good! Costco, though, do seem to be very fussy and check all wheels before you leave the car with them - though that game does not necessarily mean that they will keep them looking good after getting new tyres fitted to them, luck of the draw.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

Wouldn't opt for SP sportmaxx tbh, I've had them and found them alright (Great in bone dry weather, but any sort or moisture and they're average) but will be going back to Continental or Michelins.
MarkTS74
New
Drives: BlueGT (6c October 2014 build) 150ps

Post by MarkTS74 »

I wouldn't go Dunlop sportmaxx as these are the very first generation Dunlop sportmaxx & outdated design, had these on my October 2014 BlueGT & found them downright dangerous in anything but dry with complete slide if lifting off - basically hard outdated compound tyres now.
You need to go current generation Dunlop sportmaxx RT2 which are fantastic but £90-100 per corner.
The Dunlop's (sportmaxx performance model) went like this -
First generation
Sportmaxx

Second Generation
Sportmaxx RT

Current & third generation
Sportmaxx RT2

I changed to to Uniroyal Rainsport 3's back in May very good tyres & have back the feel & handling the BlueGT has soft/grippy tyres.
On 6mm rear & 5mm fronts now normal daily driving + track day in October at Castle Combe.
Think I got mine for £70 per corner (I buy blackcircles/internet then have a local wheel refurbishing company fit them - as every Kwik fit/ATS/etc I have used in the past incapable of fitting tyres without damaging the paint on alloys badly).