Successful Pioneer Apple Carplay installation in 6R

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
KeithS
New
Drives: 2010 1.6TDI

Successful Pioneer Apple Carplay installation in 6R

Post by KeithS »

In case anyone else is thinking about doing this, then I can offer a couple of words of advice based on having just (successfully) fitted my Pioneer SPH-DA120 double-DIN unit in my 2010 6R.

I did a fair amount of on-line research before carrying out the installation, much of the information proving to be incorrect. I'd had the system fitted in a Merc C220 (don't ask) and wanted to install it in place of the rather uninspiring factory unit in the 1.6TDI I've just acquired. The actual physical installation is a piece of cake, using an eBay-sourced double-DIN fitting kit and surround to match the VW dash. Also acquired an ISO loom to connect Pioneer unit to VW wiring harness.

First job was to install the dash-top GPS aerial supplied with the Pioneer unit – I fitted this on the dash at the base of the left-hand (passenger) screen pillar, poking the wiring down between the dash and the bodywork, then running it behind the rubber door seal, across under the glovebox and into the centre console to the back of the unit. Five minute job at most. The microphone is mounted on the driver's sun visor, with the cable run down behind the screen pillar trim then under the rubber door seal and across under the dash to the centre console again. You'll need an aerial adaptor to hook up to the VW aerial lead as the Pioneer unit takes a standard aerial plug – the adaptors are available on eBay, Amazon or your local Halfords.

When it comes to the wiring itself, the ISO harness I used (from eBay) is already to plug and play except for two long loose leads, one red, one orange. The red one needs to be fed out of the back of the console and across to the fusebox where, using a mini-blade 'piggyback' fuse, get power from an ignition-controlled fuse position (I used one for the fuel pump relay). This means your unit will turn off with the ignition – you could use a fuse that's live when the key's in the 'accessory' position if you wish. The other long spare lead – the orange one – needs to be connected to thea light switch so that it only gets power when the headlights are on – this is used to dim the display at night. I haven't yet connected mine as I can't get the headlight switch out of the dash (following the 'push the switch in, turn to the right and pull' doesn't seem to work), but you can turn off the display with a push of the 'mode' button on the touch screen if you wish.

It is possible – and this is where most on-line info gets itself in a twist – that your unit will have become live all the time, regardless of the ignition. This is because one of the feeds to the unit is a permanent live necessary to prevent your unit losing all the presets. It seems to vary from car to car, but Pioneer has thought of that – on the original Pioneer loom poking out of the unit you'll find two leads, one red and one yellow. They each have bullet connects installed. If your unit is permanently on, pull the bullet connectors apart and swap them over, so red goes to yellow, yellow goes to red. That's it. Job done.

Hope that helps anyone contemplating the swap. It's worth it as the AppleCarplay works a treat with an iPhone.
Attachments
Pioneer.JPG
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Re: Successful Pioneer Apple Carplay installation in 6R

Post by albob »

Nice work - thanks for sharing..
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

albob wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:44 pm Nice work - thanks for sharing..
+1!!
cheekychicco
New
Drives: polo gti

Post by cheekychicco »

Hi can you help me if possible the red and the orange wires can you tell me where they need to go as connecting to what colour wire pics would be helpful thank you
smitheman1997
New
Drives: 2012

Post by smitheman1997 »

:D