Loud creaking sound from front suspension.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Ash6R
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 1.2 TSI SEL

Loud creaking sound from front suspension.

Post by Ash6R »

Ive got a 2012 Polo 6R 1.2 TSI and for the past two weeks my car has been making loud creaking noise when ever i go over speed humps or really uneven road surfaces. Also it doesn't make any noise when its raining for some reason. Any ideas what the problem could be? Cheers.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Loud creaking sound from front suspension.

Post by SRGTD »

Sounds like it could be your suspension bushes. Seems quite a common problem on the mk6 and mk7 Golf. When it’s raining, the road spray probably ‘lubricates’ them which is why you don’t hear the noise in wet weather.
Ash6R
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 1.2 TSI SEL

Post by Ash6R »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:02 am Sounds like it could be your suspension bushes. Seems quite a common problem on the mk6 and mk7 Golf. When it’s raining, the road spray probably ‘lubricates’ them which is why you don’t hear the noise in wet weather.
How much does it cost to replace the suspension bushes and is it something i could do myself? Also where could i get the bushes from?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve never changed suspension bushes so don’t know if it’s something you could do yourself

I also think you need to establish that it definitely is the suspension bushes that are the cause of your creaking noise first. My suggestion on the possible cause was based on what I’ve read on other VW forums.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If you buy a Haynes repair manual it will guide you a bit, it might just be the ARB bushes which seem to wear very quickly on these 6R/6C cars, so they are easy enough to replace if you have jacks/stands/tools, or it might be the lower arm rear bush(es) - if you get the car up onto stands you will be able to find them and check if they are torn/split - two ways to replace them, either buy a pair of new lower arms or just the bushes and get them swopped.

All these parts can be bought from ECP as long as you can find the correct parts for your car, otherwise buy from your local VW dealer's parts department or a VW Group online trader - which there are a few reliable ones. Or if you really really are able to work out the part numbers you need, buy from another online source of quality aftermarket car parts - and that probably means Meyle or Lemforder.

Edit:- getting a spray can of silicon lubricant and spraying it over the ARB mounting bushes first and seeing if that sorts things, if it does not then do the same for the lower arm rear bushes and see if it sorts things, then you know where most of the issues are?