Question Regarding Front Bumper Lights

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
chrisb1357
New
Drives: POLO SE DESIGN, 2015, 1.0L

Re: Question Regarding Front Bumper Lights

Post by chrisb1357 »

Is it worth changing the bulbs still just to be sure even that they look ok ?? Also do the DRL's have there own fuse?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

No it does not by default
massimo23
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Beats 2017

Post by massimo23 »

Hi Chris. have you checked in the infotainment car settings to see if you have a drl setting in the light section? You could also check one of the bulbs with a multimeter on the ohm setting to see if you get a reading.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Whether either or both sections of the lower unit is populated by anything depends on the precise model of Polo and therefore the options fitted when the car was purchased. Accordingly, I thought I'd add my ha'peth-worth on the matter.

My vehicle's a 2017 Match Edition 1.2 TSI, with still factory-fitted headlights/lights incorporated, ie. I've not sought to change or otherwise upgrade any of the lighting on the car, and last year when I did a full audit of the various light-fittings and bulbs, this is what I found for the unit below the headlamps, on each side:

Daytime running lights
(outer section of lower unit)
W21W, type 582
Toshiba W21WLL, E2 216, Z71N
wedge, clear glass

Foglight
(inner section of lower unit)
35W halogen, type H8 (black tip)
Osram 64212, E1 24H

The offside and nearside front units were found to be identical.

As regards the light clusters at the rear of the vehicle, I found a foglight only for the righthand side, ie. the offside:
H21W
Miniature halogen, clear glass
Philips 12356 E1 20W 15v
Bayonet with asymmetric pins

Within the offside rear cluster assembly, the location of this foglight was the inner, lower white strip, as viewed when standing in front of the cluster assembly.

In the Polo's driver manual it says:

"When the light switch is in either the 0 or AUTO position, the DRLs are switched on every time the ignition is switched on.
If the light switch is at position AUTO, the rain/light sensor will automatically switch dipped beam on and off (and also the dashboard lighting) to suit ambient light conditions.
The DRLs cannot be switched on or off manually".

Re the fog lights, the front and rear ones are represented by the icons on the left side of the bezel of the lighting switch. These are indicators only, though, they're not switch positions, so there's no turning anticlockwise of the knob possible from the 0 position (or at least, that's how it is on mine; forcing this switch to the left could ultimately break it!). The foglights can be switched on with that switch in either of the Auto, sidelights, or dipped headlights positions. To turn the front foglight on you have to pull the knob of the lightswitch out to its first notch. To turn on the rear foglight, you have to pull the knob out as far as it'll go. To turn the foglights off, you either just press the knob in again and/or you put it to position 0.

Hope this helps a bit.
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

Hi all,

Visited the dealer yesterday as I was passing the place. Two of the technicians had a look and they tried all sorts to get them to come on with no luck so they checked the VW database of the original car order and it stated the car was built with daytime running lights so they suggested they should be working which they are not.

After saying I would need to pay for a diagnostics of £72 I booked the car in for a few weeks time and then emailed the dealer when I got home asking why I need to pay this if they have never worked on the car. They are going to wave the fee when I take the car in and to try and resolve the issue under warranty after a received an email back from the dealer manager this morning.

I did say I will try changing the bulbs tomorrow even that they look visually ok just to be sure but today I took both of them out to check that they was connected to the wiring loom which they are and both connected and so that I could get the bulb type. Images of both bulbs below which they look like type 582 ones which tie in what was said above and they look visually ok and unused

There is no setting in the infotainment car settings either

Chris
Attachments
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (93.53 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (98.04 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Yup, those (the posted images of yours) are the very ones. What do you intend replacing them with - the self same bulbs, or completely different types? If the latter, then be careful, as that could open a veritable can of worms. As for supplies of the existing DRL bulbs, I found in my audit that VW had gone to considerable lengths to use filament bulbs on the vehicle that were of the best quality around and therefore ones that'd probably last longer, so when buying direct replacements of these I'd strongly advise you get the self same ones; if necessary, even buy them direct from your VW dealer. If, however, the intention is to experiment with alternative bulbs, even LED types, than that'd be entirely your own choice.

But as for your existing DRLs - and here I'm assuming you're definitely referring to the bulbs of the outermost section) - they should definitely come on as soon as you insert and turn the ignition key, and should stay on when the engine's running. That's with the lighting switch in the 0 or AUTO position (daytime situation; it's somewhat different for night conditions). I seem to recall that it was legislation brought in about 7 or 8 years ago that required all new cars to have daytime running lights, and therefore they were organised on new cars so that you couldn't permanently turn them off. So, if those techies are certain your vehicle is fitted with DRLs - and certainly the evidence seems to point that way - those DRLs should definitely come on with the ignition.

A plausible explanation could be that someone, prior to handing over the car to you initially, disconnected them via a wiring connection somewhere but forgot to put the connection back. Did you get the vehicle brand new? One other possibility is that the lighting fuse (dashboard fusebox?) for these is either making poor contact or has blown, though I'm not sure if the DRLs have their own dedicated fuse. If it does have a dedicated fuse, then perhaps , on your Polo, the fuse value is a little on the low side and is easily blown?

PS. When you test out the DRLs don't have the sidelights or headlights on as well, because that affects the result. I notice that that's the situation in your originally-posted images. Just have the lighting switch in the 0 position, ensuring that the knob is fully down. Then insert the ignition key and turn the ignition on.

If, after all of that, the DRLs still don't come on, then surely it must be down to a software problem? There have almost certainly been one or two recommended software updates since 2015.
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The bulbs are not being replaced with anything. I am just trying to get the DRLs working as they have never worked but anyway got some Osram ones coming just to test to rule out faulty bulbs.

With regards to how the DRLs work myself and two VW technicians have all tried to get them to come on as per your suggestion below with no luck. I even made sure the wiring loom plug is connected to both which they are.

Am not aware of a separate fuse just for the DRLs. The manual does not list any and online fuse guides don't list any either just for the DRLs.

I assume they are not activated via the management system which is why VW have asked for the car to come in for a software diagnostic check which they are now providing free of charge as well as a loan car.

My only thing to do next is fit the osram bulbs when they arrive and if they still don't work there is not much else I can do so its over to VW

Chris
veteran wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:23 pm Yup, those (the posted images of yours) are the very ones. What do you intend replacing them with - the self same bulbs, or completely different types? If the latter, then be careful, as that could open a veritable can of worms. As for supplies of the existing DRL bulbs, I found in my audit that VW had gone to considerable lengths to use filament bulbs on the vehicle that were of the best quality around and therefore ones that'd probably last longer, so when buying direct replacements of these I'd strongly advise you get the self same ones; if necessary, even buy them direct from your VW dealer. If, however, the intention is to experiment with alternative bulbs, even LED types, than that'd be entirely your own choice.

But as for your existing DRLs - and here I'm assuming you're definitely referring to the bulbs of the outermost section) - they should definitely come on as soon as you insert and turn the ignition key, and should stay on when the engine's running. That's with the lighting switch in the 0 or AUTO position (daytime situation; it's somewhat different for night conditions). I seem to recall that it was legislation brought in about 7 or 8 years ago that required all new cars to have daytime running lights, and therefore they were organised on new cars so that you couldn't permanently turn them off. So, if those techies are certain your vehicle is fitted with DRLs - and certainly the evidence seems to point that way - those DRLs should definitely come on with the ignition.

A plausible explanation could be that someone, prior to handing over the car to you initially, disconnected them via a wiring connection somewhere but forgot to put the connection back. Did you get the vehicle brand new? One other possibility is that the lighting fuse (dashboard fusebox?) for these is either making poor contact or has blown, though I'm not sure if the DRLs have their own dedicated fuse. If it does have a dedicated fuse, then perhaps , on your Polo, the fuse value is a little on the low side and is easily blown?

PS. When you test out the DRLs don't have the sidelights or headlights on as well, because that affects the result. I notice that that's the situation in your originally-posted images. Just have the lighting switch in the 0 position, ensuring that the knob is fully down. Then insert the ignition key and turn the ignition on.

If, after all of that, the DRLs still don't come on, then surely it must be down to a software problem? There have almost certainly been one or two recommended software updates since 2015.
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

This may sound dumb but if my polo is March 2015 is it a 6R or 6C? Reason I ask is on the fuse guides on here for both one has a DRL fuse listed and the other does not??
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

chrisb1357 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:19 pm This may sound dumb but if my polo is March 2015 is it a 6R or 6C? Reason I ask is on the fuse guides on here for both one has a DRL fuse listed and the other does not??
Based on the pictures in your first post, assuming it’s your car in the pictures, your car is the facelift version, so a 6c.
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

Well so I have fitted a pair of new bulbs just to rule out the bulbs and they still do not work so in to VW the car will be going in a few weeks
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

Well the car has been into VW for a free diagnostics check and the daytime running lights had not been programed. These have now been enabled and the lights now work at last :-)

Thanks all for the replies to this post.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I wonder what else the supplying dealer's people missed during carrying out the PDI!

Edit:- and even later when re-selling it, also strange that the MOT did not comment on this, unless DRL is not mandated for that age of build.