Question Regarding Front Bumper Lights

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
chrisb1357
New
Drives: POLO SE DESIGN, 2015, 1.0L

Question Regarding Front Bumper Lights

Post by chrisb1357 »

Hi all,

First post here on the forum and sorry to sound stupid :-)

Had my Polo since May last year and its my first VW after moving away from French cars that I have been driving for years.

I have a question regarding the 2 lower lights on the front bumper of the car that I cant seem to get working and I know this sounds stupid but what are they actually for as when I check my other lights everything seems fine i.e Front fogs, side lights, full beam, normal beam etc all work fine)

The ones in question are highlighted red in the images attached and I don't think I have ever seen them working and looking at them close up both bulbs look fine and unused ???

So what are they actually for is my stupid question???

Chris
Attachments
Right.png
Left.png
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Question Regarding Front Bumper Lights

Post by SRGTD »

I’m pretty certain the outer portion of the lower lights in the bumper are just dummy lights and do nothing.

My owners manual (page 96) states that the static cornering lights are integrated into the front fog lights or headlights.

This YouTube video shows the inner section of the lower lights operating as fog lights;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5hwPpZrz9PU

And this one shows the same inner section of the lower lights operating as the static cornering lights;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVQycll3EWM

You could check to see if if your cornering lights are integrated into the headlamp units or the fog lights by switching on your engine, turning on your headlights and indicating, like in the second of the two video links above.
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

The static cornering lights do work as they should as per the videos as I had already looked at the same videos on YouTube to make sure I was not going crazy. Like you say there is nothing in the manual about he outer ones which I find odd. it sure does look like there is bulbs in them so if they was dummy ones why would they fit bulbs unless I need to look a bit closer
massimo23
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo Beats 2017

Post by massimo23 »

Hi there. On my polo 6c beats the outer lights are daytime lights Drl while the inner lights are fog/cornering lights. Do you have drl lights enabled or working?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

That’s a very good point massimo23, they could well be the daytime running lights.

@chrisb1357; does your Polo have DRL’s in the headlamp unit? If not, then the lower outer lamps will very likely be your DRL’s. On UK cars built after around 2012, I don’t think there’s an option to turn them off. Easy to check to see if they’re working by turning the ignition on and then turn the rotary headlamp switch to the off position. Your DRL’s should then be the only lights that are illuminated.
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

There is no DRLs in the headlamp units

With the rotary switch in the off position and the engine running the lights in the bumper do not come on still !!!

Chris

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:04 am That’s a very good point massimo23, they could well be the daytime running lights.

@chrisb1357; does your Polo have DRL’s in the headlamp unit? If not, then the lower outer lamps will very likely be your DRL’s. On UK cars built after around 2012, I don’t think there’s an option to turn them off. Easy to check to see if they’re working by turning the ignition on and then turn the rotary headlamp switch to the off position. Your DRL’s should then be the only lights that are illuminated.
Smokegetsinyoureyes
New
Drives: 2015 1.4 SEL TDI 90 Bluemotion

Post by Smokegetsinyoureyes »

As far as I know face lifted models have daytime running lamps below, unless they have LED headlamps (the daytime running lamps in these are inbuilt into the headlamp) so lower lamps are fog/cornering lamps, they r on the inner edge of the lower lamps, the previous models drl's are on the outer edge of the lower lamps. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

chrisb1357 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:33 am There is no DRLs in the headlamp units

With the rotary switch in the off position and the engine running the lights in the bumper do not come on still !!!

Chris
And presumably, when you do this, you don’t have DRL’s in your headlamp units either?

It’d be worth checking in the car settings (accessed via the infotainment screen) if there’s an option to activate / deactivate the DRL’s in the ‘Lights’ menu.
massimo23
Bronze Member

Post by massimo23 »

what happens if you disengage the parking brake, while in ignition on? do the drl lights activate? also as SRGTD said check light settings in your infotainment.
massimo23
Bronze Member

Post by massimo23 »

If your light knob is this model:
Light Knob.jpg
then set it to auto.
With the ignition on you have the following:
During the day only the Drl lights are working.
During the night the Drl lights are disabled while your low beams/sidelights are working.
There is a setting that allows you to disable the drl lights when parking brakes are engaged.
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

Our light switch knob is not like that. It does not have the Auto on it.

Tried driving up street with knob set to zero and no lights come on (wife was watching from road side)

massimo23 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:01 pm If your light knob is this model:
Light Knob.jpg
then set it to auto.
With the ignition on you have the following:
During the day only the Drl lights are working.
During the night the Drl lights are disabled while your low beams/sidelights are working.
There is a setting that allows you to disable the drl lights when parking brakes are engaged.
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

Just been to my local VW Vertu dealer which I got the car from last May.

They check on the VW system with the VIN and it says the car was fitted with DRL's

They suggest I change the bulbs first even that they look ok as if I take it in there will be a £72 diagnostic fee.
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

So not sure what best approach to take with this as they VW dealer I got the car from is saying I most likely will have to pay £72 for the test
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I agree with massimo, those will be the daytime running lights on the outer side of the fog light housing. the inner lights will be the fog lights combined with cornering lights.
chrisb1357
New

Post by chrisb1357 »

I think your right to. Do polo's have rear daytime running lights to?

Chris

iichel wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:51 pm I agree with massimo, those will be the daytime running lights on the outer side of the fog light housing. the inner lights will be the fog lights combined with cornering lights.