Passenger Door Sensor Issue

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Passenger Door Sensor Issue

Post by gaza1994 »

So - I've no idea on the technical side of this, so this might make no sense what so ever!

So, when the car is running and you open a door, the lights pop on and you get a light on the dash to say that a door is open!

When i open the front passenger door, this sometimes happens.

I'm assuming its a sensor or something, whats the best way to go about getting this fixed? MOT is due at the end of the month and want to get the car working 😂😂
benzinkopf
Gold Member
Drives: 1.2TSI 105HP DSG7

Re: Passenger Door Sensor Issue

Post by benzinkopf »

Erm. I dont think we understand whats the issue. But i assume you mean if you open the front pax door, there’s no warning light up as is there’s no door open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

benzinkopf wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:01 pm Erm. I dont think we understand whats the issue. But i assume you mean if you open the front pax door, there’s no warning light up as is there’s no door open?

Yes, open the door, no warning light to say that it is open
benzinkopf
Gold Member

Post by benzinkopf »

i would suggest u first check the door lock module near the door latch there. there re several number of holes which overtime did collect enough dirt. try spray contact cleaner through the holes.

secondly. im sure u will be able to detect error if u have vcds.
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

benzinkopf wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:19 pm i would suggest u first check the door lock module near the door latch there. there re several number of holes which overtime did collect enough dirt. try spray contact cleaner through the holes.

secondly. im sure u will be able to detect error if u have vcds.
The car hasnt been cleaned for months, so yea, that would be a good starting point!!

and yea, i totally forgot i had VCDS 😂 good shout!
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

I done a scan with VCDS - nothing showing up :(

Car was propperly cleaned and that hasnt fixed the issue.

Noticed this seems to be more of an issue when its colder than if its warm outside.

So im out of ideas
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

What version of VCDS are you using, I'm surprised that it did not find a fault logged - though, it is probably due to the lock assembly failure that is causing "door not open" to be taken as just that, ie it thinks the door is not open.

I'd think that you just live with that, not an MOT requirement I'd think, and check it out and replace the passenger lock assembly in the spring/summer.

Edit:- one free thing that you could check is for broken/damaged wires within the protective boot that carries the wires from the car out to the door - again easier to do in warmer weather.
benzinkopf
Gold Member

Post by benzinkopf »

when i got the issue last time, i found out there’s open hole near the door latch which i suppose should have a rubber cover. i checked my rear door, it does have rubber cover. see below.

so what i did, simply spray wd40 or contact cleaner through this hole to try and see any difference. (fast one before you open up the door lock module)

RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Funny that you mentioned these rubber covers missing, the rear doors on my wife's August 2015 build Polo 1.2TSI also had these covers missing as well as covers from the battery terminals, I just found the part number and ordered in all the missing parts to save needing to leave the car at the dealer! I ordered and fitted external return springs for the rear brake calliper's handbrake levers as well, though it probably does not need them, but I fitted them as the handbrake levers on earlier Polos caused me problems.

So VW does not seem to have worked out why they end up with extra rubber covers after shipping out Polos from South Africa!

Edit:- as you have mentioned lubricating these locks, it could be because it is the passenger side, that that door is not used very often, so as well as the WD40 into the aperture above the lock, clean up and spray in some maybe white grease into the actual lock area, if you use a large screw driver, you can "trip" the locking clasp into its closed position while the door is still open, then spray with white grease etc and release that clasp by operating the door handle, and repeat a few times.

Remember tripping that clasp will simulate the door being closed, so grabbing the door handle to release it again to the open position so the door status indicator should follow that clasp moving, if that helps at all.

Edit:- to anyone reading this posting, in case you did not know, these small rubber covers with a indent moulded into them, cover the mechanism that you can use to manually lock any door(s) if the central locking fails, the battery is flat or the battery has been removed from the car. Quite handy to remember this! Obviously if you ned to lock all the doors using this method, you then unlock the driver's door using the key blade, then unlock each of the other doors using the internal door opening handle.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

benzinkopf wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:16 pm
when i got the issue last time, i found out there’s open hole near the door latch which i suppose should have a rubber cover. i checked my rear door, it does have rubber cover. see below.

so what i did, simply spray wd40 or contact cleaner through this hole to try and see any difference. (fast one before you open up the door lock module)

benzinkopf, just in case you want to buy any of these rubber covers, the part number that I used to order them in from my VW dealership was 1Y0 837 111 .
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

benzinkopf wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:16 pm Image

So this is the hole i can put my key in to lock/unlock - it does have a rubber cover - do i need to take the cover off and then try some WD40 or just spray some directly into the rubber hole?
benzinkopf
Gold Member

Post by benzinkopf »

RUM4MO wrote:
benzinkopf wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:16 pm

benzinkopf, just in case you want to buy any of these rubber covers, the part number that I used to order them in from my VW dealership was 1Y0 837 111 .
thanks man! Ive been trying to find that. in fact. i already plan to duplicate it using mould and silicone DIY. haha.

benzinkopf
Gold Member

Post by benzinkopf »

gaza1994 wrote:

So this is the hole i can put my key in to lock/unlock - it does have a rubber cover - do i need to take the cover off and then try some WD40 or just spray some directly into the rubber hole?
well. i guess worth a shot. I’m not exactly know whether it will solve your issue or not, but it works for me. But if u already have the rubber cover, then your door lock module should be clean and good.

gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

benzinkopf wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:39 pm
gaza1994 wrote:

well. i guess worth a shot. I’m not exactly know whether it will solve your issue or not, but it works for me. But if u already have the rubber cover, then your door lock module should be clean and good.

Nothing to lose at this stage i guess!

Car has been kinda neglected over the past 6 months or so, so some dirt may have gotten in somehow.