Clutch

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dwain dibly
New
Drives: 2014 1.0se

Clutch

Post by Dwain dibly »

Hi just bought a 14 plate 1.0 se the clutch seems a bit high its not slipping but I'm getting the smell every so often is this normal?
Dwain dibly
New

Re: Clutch

Post by Dwain dibly »

After driving it a few days the clutch doesn't seem smooth when changing gear I can never seem to get it smothly away in first when setting off either it bites fine but when letting off the last bit it seems to jerk a bit
Any ideas ? theres no slip etc as I have done the test both in gear and at a standstill in 3rd
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Hi, I don't know why no one has answered this yet, but it does not sound right to me, it should be very easy to drive a modern car - and if it is not, then some thing is not right - return to the place you bought it from as it must have come with some form of warranty.
Casbantam
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match

Post by Casbantam »

Are you new to VW? Reason I'm asking is that I had a similar issue when I first bought my Polo in November.
Although mine is a 1.2 TSI I was really struggling getting a smooth set off. The pedals seemed really sensitive and the car was very jerky when setting off. I was convinced there was a problem so took the car back. It was given the all clear but after 2 weeks and still not happy I drove another identical car and low and behold it was the same.
Not sure what happened but I think I just got fully used to the car after about 3 weeks. It is now a pleasure to drive.
Obviously yours is a different model to mine but try the following. When setting off don't give it any throttle just raise the clutch slowly until it starts to move. Then apply gas gently. Modern cars don't seem to need gas then clutch like the old cars it is the other way round. Obviously if you are on a slope you would need to add gas first but I just adapted to it and now it is seemless.
Hope this makes sense and works for you in your car. What was your last car?
ATB Casbantam
Dwain dibly
New

Post by Dwain dibly »

Thanks for the replies it's not really bad it just doesn't feel right!! I've got loads of experience with driving different cars we replaced the wife's 10 Yr old 1.5 dci micra with the polo and I drive a manual sorento. seems over sensitive causing us to slip the clutch a bit when setting off. when changing while going along the clutch seems to stick a bit so you get a little surge after lifting off the clutch completely it's a bit like changing without lifting off the accelerator
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

Similar experience to myself actually. Lots of experience of different cars etc most recently a 2016 Hyundaii20.
I did speak to someone at VW who asked about my most recent vehicles. He explained that as the polo had more torque than the i20 it needed less effort to get moving. He said drive leading with the clutch rather than the accelerator.
Hope you can get sorted anyway. Did you get from VW garage? Could always get them to check it out to be on safe side.
Dwain dibly
New

Post by Dwain dibly »

Does the polo have a dual mass flywheel? As thats what it feels like
Dwain dibly
New

Post by Dwain dibly »

Just a had anther play and I've discovered that if I set off with no throttle at all when i lift off the clutch the engine revs increase by 200 to 100 rm on there own what's that about?
Casbantam
Getting There!

Post by Casbantam »

It's the anti stall
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I don't think that these TSI engines have a dual mass flywheel, the rising revs as you release the clutch as well as being maybe anti stall, is also to help sync the engine speed with current road speed as it also happens when you change gear up or down - really a driver aid.

I have not noticed on the 6C Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, but on my S4, it does that even if the car is stationary, I'd expect as the 6C Polo is newer, that the engine ECU checks to see if there is a "speedo output" before applying that increase in revs - ie be a more evolved version.
Dwain dibly
New

Post by Dwain dibly »

I've booked it in to be looked at as it's not right the wifes complaining that the clutch is still burning and I can't get it to change smoothly unless Im really slow with the clutch its still surging when changing gear after the clutch is released it should be easy to drive we've had a micra before this for 6 years and never had a problem so it's not our driving I'll see what the say at vw when I take it in
libb22ya
New
Drives: 6C

Post by libb22ya »

And what did they say, Dwain, please ?