Weird knock

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2016

Weird knock

Post by LawrenceDGraham »

Alright I'm getting sick now!?!?! :evil:
I've had my polo gti for about 6 months now and since I bought the car love it every second but I noticed a slight knock coming from the bay when ever I planted it and hit a bump at the same time.

Didn't sound like suspension more like a gearbox slap so I replace the Bush in the dog bone with a track and road Polly Bush. Great sorted clearly not the noise got louder since there was no play in the gear box so I went out and check the car on a ramp at work couldn't find anything had it book in for a fake MOT just too see if he could see anything still nothing.

Now I've fitted Polly Bush top mounts cause there was alot of play in the Bush. Still nothing so then ordered coilovers too see if it could be a shocker on its way still nothing then done Polly Bush droplinks.

So I still have this noise it's there when ever I hit a bump now it's getting worse as the days go on and can't find anything on it at all. Anyone know of common problems with anything that can cause a knock sometimes it's like a crack (depending on how hard you drive her) haha :lol:

It's a shame cause am in love with this little hatch :cry:
kentwbird
New
Drives: 6C GTI

Re: Weird knock

Post by kentwbird »

I have the same problem... definately not a good noise and good that I have finally found someone with exactly the same problem...plz someone help :cry:
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

You might want to have a little read of this.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=72522

Hopefully yours is something more trivial like a worn bush/mount or a drop-link. But worth having a look especially if you have some warranty remaining.
kentwbird
New

Post by kentwbird »

wolfie wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:08 am You might want to have a little read of this.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=72522

Hopefully yours is something more trivial like a worn bush/mount or a drop-link. But worth having a look especially if you have some warranty remaining.
I am experiencing the same noise in the same conditions (as far as i can tell) and have read and re-read that post and have looked in that location and can see no crack unless it is still under the sealant.
Sorry I am a bit of a newbie :oops: but where do I look for a "worn bush/mount"...i know where the drop link is.
BTW the noise seems to come from both sides depending on which side goes over a bump.
P.S. Just had a clutch replacement done also
Specs are: Stage 2 from http://www.ecutech.com.au/ running 230hp and 390nm
No other mods apart from a DIY Intake (came up quite nice actually :D )
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The gearbox mounting, the big one on the end of the gearbox has been causing some people problems, VW Group do know about this.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Good shout. Personally I always start with the cheap simple things to check and work my way up to the expensive fixes in the hope I don't get to them.. :D :D
kentwbird
New

Post by kentwbird »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 am The gearbox mounting, the big one on the end of the gearbox has been causing some people problems, VW Group do know about this.
Which end?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

kentwbird wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:59 am
RUM4MO wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 am The gearbox mounting, the big one on the end of the gearbox has been causing some people problems, VW Group do know about this.
Which end?
?? the LHS end of the powertrain which is the end of the gearbox, the lower one is only a steady bar and the mounting on the RHS of the powertrain is the engine mounting.
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

So found the knock I would check your polos cause VW told me it's a common fault
20190120_155124.jpg
20190120_155156.jpg
20190122_190504.jpg
Right here is the timing chain side of the engine bay it's the engine mount this part is welded too the frame and comes apart from the car and cause a knock and over time it gets louder and louder till it goes pop.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Is it an engine out job to fix that?
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

VW SAY it is I've managed too weld around it but tbh I'm gonna pull the motor out on the weekend too go over it again too make sure I got every corner. Bloody s**t design just spot welding an engine mount on a performance car with the capability too make decent power.
kentwbird
New

Post by kentwbird »

LawrenceDGraham wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:15 pm So found the knock I would check your polos cause VW told me it's a common fault 20190120_155124.jpg20190120_155156.jpg20190122_190504.jpg

Right here is the timing chain side of the engine bay it's the engine mount this part is welded too the frame and comes apart from the car and cause a knock and over time it gets louder and louder till it goes pop.
Thanks...I have checked there and can see no crack but has yours only recently cracked the sealant or has it always shown a crack during the time of the noises.
kentwbird
New

Post by kentwbird »

Oh and also a quick side note the noises seems to come from both sides depending on which side goes over a bump.
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

kentwbird wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:21 am Oh and also a quick side note the noises seems to come from both sides depending on which side goes over a bump.
Yeah I didn't have a visable crack untill recently but the welds must have cracked just wasn't visable and yeah the noise seemed too come from both sides depending on what bump I hit the the gearbox mounts Aka the dog bone are common on theye polos as Well that's where I started then work way up too strut top mounts and coilovers then i seen the crack when washing the car so pretty much was wasting money trying too fix a noise I was never gonna fix I think putting pollyurethane bushes in put more stress on the engine mount causing it too show a visable crack
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

Grab the engine mount on the timingaide and see if there is anymovment in the mount where it bolts too the chassis and see if there is any odd movement the enginemount will move just note that your looking too see if the part under the mount moves