fuel lid actuator - replacement

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ma444
New
Drives: 1.2s 2010

fuel lid actuator - replacement

Post by ma444 »

How difficult is to replace the fuel lid actuator? Mine keeps sticking, and I think it's on the way off. I'd like to do it myself but can't work out how to get the cable connector
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Re: fuel lid actuator - replacement

Post by cheba »

Not difficult, maybe a 10 minute job. I changed mine after it stopped locking when I locked the car.

Open the lid. There is one torx screw inside it that you need to remove, then you can carefully remove the whole lid assembly from the car. Then just slide the actuator off of the sheet metal tab it sits on. Open the boot and open the little flap in the trim just behind the right taillight. If you stick your hand into the opening you can reach the cable connector, unplug it. Before you pull the cable out through the body, tie a piece of string or wire to it that you can use later to pull the cable of the new actuator into the boot. Pull out the cable (including the grommet where it goes through the body).

The install is the reverse of the removal. Tie the new cable to the string and tape it smooth, pull it into the boot and plug in the connector. Seat the included grommet into the hole in the body. Install the actuator, install the flap assembly and reinstall the torx screw.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Excellent plan making life easier by using string!

I have thought about fitting the emergency release from an Audi A1 to my wife's 2015 Polo, but I've not done that yet, cheba, from having replaced the actuator, do you think that it is possible to fit an emergency plastic cord to the Polo fuel lid actuator?
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Post by cheba »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:04 am Excellent plan making life easier by using string!

I have thought about fitting the emergency release from an Audi A1 to my wife's 2015 Polo, but I've not done that yet, cheba, from having replaced the actuator, do you think that it is possible to fit an emergency plastic cord to the Polo fuel lid actuator?
What a coincidince as I am currently investigating doing that myself :D

I've looked into it before, and found a forum thread (https://www.polo6rfreunde.de/index.php/ ... riegelung/) made by 6R owner who installed it, but stated that an additional hole would have to be drilled in the body in order to run the cord into the trunk like it should be. If I understood it correctly, the owner left it on the outside on the body, between the bumper and the wheel arch liner, reachable from below the bumper. One could leave it like that of course (potential fuel thieves won't go looking for a release cord below the bumper since no other 6R has that). However I'd like to run the cord into the trunk, like the factory install on Audi A1/A3.

One could run the cord it trough the same grommet as the cable to the actuator to get it into the trunk, but I am not sure that it will work once you pull the cord, since there will be quite sharp bends on the cord so it may not slide smoothly. However recently I saw some photos by a Russian Golf mk7 owner who installed the release cord, also with quite sharp bends, and apparently it still works. That's why I thought I'd pick up an Audi cord and try.

However when I checked ETKA I saw that the part number (8X0 862 165B) was discontinued last year without a replacement (now Audi only sells the complete actuator which includes the cord). Some OEM seller on Ebay may still have it. I tried ordering from one of them but they got back to me saying they don't have it available (they have now removed the listing) and offered me a refund.

I already used my old actuator to test alternatives to the cord like a bent steel wire, and a loop crafted from zipties. I couldn't get anything to work reliably, I think you need the specific shape of the OEM loop in order to catch the release switch properly (it is a very short switch arm covered by a bulky rubber cover).
Last edited by cheba on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ma444
New

Post by ma444 »

I have read that it's an ida to spray it in grease - has anyone else done that?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Oh bother, and I did make sure that I had found the correct part number "for future use" - so that is what happens when you leave jobs to do so time later!
ma444
New

Post by ma444 »

How much room is there to get your hands to the grommet from the outside of the car. How far across is the grommet