Automatic Dimming Mirror

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TolgaE
New
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI

Automatic Dimming Mirror

Post by TolgaE »

Hi,

I have a Polo 6C without a rainlight sensor and a manual mirror and I would like to replace it for an automatic dimming mirror without a rainlight sensor.

What part would I need and what cables? Or does someone/a store sell a set online?

Thanks in advance.
TolgaE
New
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI

Re: Automatic Dimming Mirror

Post by TolgaE »

I am looking for something like this:

https://www.shopdap.com/000072548e-auto ... 7-gti.html

But without the homelink and digital compass.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Automatic Dimming Mirror

Post by RUM4MO »

Tricky question that, I think that VW Group always offer/fit these mirrors as part as a package that always includes both the auto dimming function and the rain sensing function, so fitting a any available VW Polo parts will always end up giving you the auto rain sensing part - and I can't say what effect that it will have in terms of generating faults as it will not be fully integrated into the car as its design intended - now that might not be relevant, but I'd think that you would need to modify the interconnecting cable to suit how you are wanting to use it.

I replaced a faulty auto dimming/rain sensing mirror once on a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion as the liquid in the auto dimming part had started to leak out and that meant that the rear vision was imparted especially at night and I think that a UK MOT test would have failed that car for that potential problem - the liquid had leaked out enough for the top half of the mirror to be "not auto dimming" while the bottom half was! I think that these items might till be a "single source" item made by Johnsons as in Johnsons Controls - and quite expensive.

Obviously if you do fit one, it will need a +12V 0V and a signal to tell it the car is in reverse gear, that final part is so that the auto dimming function is inhibited when you are reversing.

Next problem could be the actual base which is glued/fitted to the windscreen, I don't know if it is a standard part with access for wiring if needed or if it is physically specific to that type of "active" mirror.

Maybe if you check for earlier models Polo and Golf and see what retro fitting companies were offering in kit form and what exactly was in these kits, might help you a bit?

Edit:- for instance check the Kufatec website and select 9R Polo as that is the last Polo that a cable is supplied for, it mentions needing also to buy a mirror(obviously), a new windscreen with correct fitting, rain sensor - and maybe even a new car control module. I can see that you would not need to buy a rain sensor, but it looks like you would need a new windscreen though probably you could fabricate something to allow you to integrate this into the car's systems without needing to replace one of the car controllers.