Polo engine noise

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gj2
New
Drives: Polo 1.2Tsi bluemotion

Polo engine noise

Post by gj2 »

Good afternoon fellow polo owners,I have a 2017 1.2 Tsi bluemotion model but when you pull away, I get a noise coming from the engine but sounds like the air filter is blocked.I only get it on the initial pull away so would like to ask fellow owners as to what this may be.
Your help and advice is much appreciated.
gj2
New

Re: Polo engine noise

Post by gj2 »

No replies anyone,I have asked VW and their answer was ???.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Everyone is probably as lost as I am when you say "noise like the air filter is blocked"
I've genuinely no clue what is meant by this.
Might be worth posting a video.
Black6c
Getting There!
Drives: 6c 1.2 (110) TSI DSG

Post by Black6c »

If I understand you correctly, maybe what you hear is what the engine suppose to sound like. I have a 1.2 tsi 6c and it does have a different sound, I would describe it as a 4 cylinder with a stuffed nose, a rather bassy growl when under load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, just that an increased load has been applied to the engine, so it is starting to work a lot harder, that is all.

I can understand the suggestion that it sounds a bit like a strangled air inlet - or a blocked exhaust!

Edit:- I think that this noise is best listened to from being some distance from the car as it is being driven away from a standing start on level ground, I'm only really aware of hearing it when I have been kind enough to be outside to close the garage door after my wife has driven her Polo 1.2TSI 110PS away after reversing out of the garage and up the steep long driveway - so the car is then position higher than my head/ears and so I can heard more of the noises normally supressed by other things!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

Yeah I noticed this but since I've had the car such a long time I'd forgotten about it, just go used to it. As you say the 1.2Tsi sound a little asthmatic pulling away, it's actually quite slow off the mark in the first few yards compared to a normally aspirated 1.2, but once it's on the move it punches above it's weight and is generally pretty nippy. I simply put it down to turbo not really spooling up and doing it's stuff from very low revs. To me it also feels like first gear is very short and you just go through the rev range pretty quickly. Never really bothered me, I've reached an age where I drive like a granddad anyway.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

The OP has the later belt driven 16V engine as their car is a 2017 model, so different characteristics.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:32 pm The OP has the later belt driven 16V engine as their car is a 2017 model, so different characteristics.
Cheers, missed that. Not paying attention as usual.. :) :)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

wolfie wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:31 am
RUM4MO wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:32 pm The OP has the later belt driven 16V engine as their car is a 2017 model, so different characteristics.
Cheers, missed that. Not paying attention as usual.. :) :)
I never miss anything, well usually maybe - okay sometimes!
kasapovic75
New
Drives: VW polo gti 2016

Post by kasapovic75 »

Black6c wrote:If I understand you correctly, maybe what you hear is what the engine suppose to sound like. I have a 1.2 tsi 6c and it does have a different sound, I would describe it as a 4 cylinder with a stuffed nose, a rather bassy growl when under load.

Yes, true. But send a video of the noise to compare

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kasapovic75
New
Drives: VW polo gti 2016

Post by kasapovic75 »

wolfie wrote:Yeah I noticed this but since I've had the car such a long time I'd forgotten about it, just go used to it. As you say the 1.2Tsi sound a little asthmatic pulling away, it's actually quite slow off the mark in the first few yards compared to a normally aspirated 1.2, but once it's on the move it punches above it's weight and is generally pretty nippy. I simply put it down to turbo not really spooling up and doing it's stuff from very low revs. To me it also feels like first gear is very short and you just go through the rev range pretty quickly. Never really bothered me, I've reached an age where I drive like a granddad anyway.
I Got a racechip from racechip.com to the 1,2 tsi. Workes with the facelift 110h and the older 90h. Gives 25h/40nm. 100£

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gj2
New

Post by gj2 »

Black6c wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 pm If I understand you correctly, maybe what you hear is what the engine suppose to sound like. I have a 1.2 tsi 6c and it does have a different sound, I would describe it as a 4 cylinder with a stuffed nose, a rather bassy growl when under load.

Yes indeed that is how it sounds,only when you pull away though.