Removing Black Box

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
OwenNorton
New
Drives: 6R MY13

Removing Black Box

Post by OwenNorton »

At the end of the month I am swapping insurers, with my current insurer I have a telematics device installed which they offer to remove for £85 (how kind of them, right?!)

Obviously, I do not want to pay my insurer an extra £85 to remove my black box. Does anyone know where exactly this device would be installed in a 6R Polo?
reyonalmighty
New
Drives: Polo SE 2018

Re: Removing Black Box

Post by reyonalmighty »

OwenNorton wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:27 pm At the end of the month I am swapping insurers, with my current insurer I have a telematics device installed which they offer to remove for £85 (how kind of them, right?!)

Obviously, I do not want to pay my insurer an extra £85 to remove my black box. Does anyone know where exactly this device would be installed in a 6R Polo?
Who you switching to?? Depends on the set up but have a look where the obd port is first of all
fleagal
New
Drives: Polo GTi 2015 6C

Post by fleagal »

My step daughter's car had a black box which was attached to the top of the battery. When she switched insurers they said they don't remove them as they are effectively disposable. It remains on there to the current day.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

fleagal wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 am My step daughter's car had a black box which was attached to the top of the battery. When she switched insurers they said they don't remove them as they are effectively disposable. It remains on there to the current day.
And I believe continues to record the driving standards!! Still come the new EU ruling about black boxes in cars she will be OK.
OwenNorton
New
Drives: 6R MY13

Post by OwenNorton »

joe6 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:34 pm
fleagal wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 am My step daughter's car had a black box which was attached to the top of the battery. When she switched insurers they said they don't remove them as they are effectively disposable. It remains on there to the current day.
And I believe continues to record the driving standards!! Still come the new EU ruling about black boxes in cars she will be OK.
exactly my point! More Than say they will deactivate it the day I switch insurers, but I want to remove it myself just to be sure