Advice Re: Apple CarPlay Unit to Retrofit in a 2012 6R Match?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Amzypop
New
Drives: 2012 6R Match TDI

Advice Re: Apple CarPlay Unit to Retrofit in a 2012 6R Match?

Post by Amzypop »

Hiya guys :)

I’m wondering if anybody could help point me in the right direction of the most appropriate Apple CarPlay-compatible radio that I can retrofit into my car. I’m wanting to do this to make use of the GPS maps and Bluetooth for audio/calls.

I’m ready to buy a unit to install myself, but I’m not sure what I need to be aware of when it comes to which unit is best for my car and how much of a job the installation will be in order to access the features the radio radio will offer e.g. I have steering wheel controls.
I have a feeling that a plug-in and play solution for a novice like me is too good to be true. Or is it? :oops:

If it helps at all, my current setup is the RCD310 radio and a TPK handsfree unit (I don’t use the latter - but thought I’d mention it as I wonder if the microphone installed for it could be useful with a CarPlay unit?). My current Bluetooth audio solution is a BoVee tune2air WMA3000 that is plugged into my media port. But Apple CarPlay would be much nicer... :D

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I’m sorry, I know that CarPlay comes up a lot on the forum. I have tried to do thorough research, but I’m still scratching my head and don’t want to be that guy who goes about this incorrectly :shock:
Tombirch95
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 Polo Match 1.2 TDI

Re: Advice Re: Apple CarPlay Unit to Retrofit in a 2012 6R Match?

Post by Tombirch95 »

hello,

have a look at my post, there are two options the cheap and easy way or the be creative way :p

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=71504
Amzypop
New
Drives: 2012 6R Match TDI

Post by Amzypop »

Tombirch95 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:17 am hello,

have a look at my post, there are two options the cheap and easy way or the be creative way :p

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=71504
Hi Tom! Thanks for the link. Really impressed with your passion project. Your car looks awesome. 8)

I learned a lot, thanks so much. I’ve gone ahead and purchased a RCD330 Plus unit on eBay from Croatia. I think it’ll be fine for me since I just want the basic functionality.

If you don’t mind me asking, was it complicated to code the microphone button on your steering wheel to activate Siri? I use “Hey Siri” at the minute anyway, but that functionality sounds better and much more impressive.
Tombirch95
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 Polo Match 1.2 TDI

Post by Tombirch95 »

hello

coding the button was really simple, just have access to VCDS and if I remember correctly it was in the central electrics coding.

car play is good to have just to make it easier, im working on wireless CarPlay at the minute which would be a game changer.

Tom
ElroseoPolo
New
Drives: 2012 6R 1.2 TDI Match 5dr

Post by ElroseoPolo »

Hi AmzyPop

How did you get on fitting the unit from Croatia? And issues?
I’m looking at fitting an RCD330 into my 6R polo match too!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk