Retrofitting Reverse Camera to 2016 Polo 6c Match

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
FiftyPlus
New
Drives: Polo 6C Bluemotion "Match" 2016

Retrofitting Reverse Camera to 2016 Polo 6c Match

Post by FiftyPlus »

Hello all
New here so apologies if this subject is already covered. I searched the forum but found nothing directly relevant.

Recently got a 2016 Polo 6C for my eldest to start driving in. Found a lovely spec with low miles. It include Front & Rear PDC, Sat Nav, Auto lights/ wipers. All in all a great car.

One option it did not have was a reversing camera. As there will be lots of city driving & parking it's a real plus, and a safety benefit.
I have some experience of VCDS and have it from previous cars so a little bit aware of how the systems work.

This seems to be the camera: it locates over the number plate. £209
http://vagtec.co.uk/eshop/genuine-volks ... lo-6c.html

VCDS coding (On a Tiguan, but should be similar)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dqPC8-mYFE

a few queries:
Anyone do this, does it work?

This mentions static guidelines. Were moving guidelines ever there on the POLO RVC ( Reversing Camera)

EDIT. The clips shows that the guidelines never moved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMC_1gRnaco

Thanks!
Hugh
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Retrofitting Reverse Camera to 2016 Polo 6c Match

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that if you are okay with fitting cabling and maybe removing/fitting pins in connectors as well as being able to use VCDS, I'd think that you could do this upgrade very easily.

Not sure why the youtuber had not worked out how to increase the size of the VCDS screens on their laptop though!

I retrofitted front PDS and so OPS to my 2011 Audi S4 as well as changing the radio from nonDAB to DAB and all the associated wiring and coding keeping every thing same as it would have been if fitted at the factory.

How does Kufatec's pricing compare with that company, or maybe Kufatec do not supply that kit yet?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

one thing you want to check before anything is that your headunit is compatible.
FiftyPlus
New

Post by FiftyPlus »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:11 am I'd think that if you are okay with fitting cabling and maybe removing/fitting pins in connectors as well as being able to use VCDS, I'd think that you could do this upgrade very easily.

Not sure why the youtuber had not worked out how to increase the size of the VCDS screens on their laptop though!

I retrofitted front PDS and so OPS to my 2011 Audi S4 as well as changing the radio from nonDAB to DAB and all the associated wiring and coding keeping every thing same as it would have been if fitted at the factory.

How does Kufatec's pricing compare with that company, or maybe Kufatec do not supply that kit yet?
Thanks for that.
https://www.kufatec.com/en/all-products ... o-6c-40224
Kufatec is €499, so about £440, quite a bit more expensive. No reason why, it appears the same part?

On the coding, I have a Ross Tech PDF on how to code the 6C for the camera, it's easy enough. I will post here when I confirm it works.

On the head unit, indications, insofar as I can find, are the camera will work with all of them. The one I have is colour and has navigation, so maybe not the basic. I am not an expert in these options. At £200, it's a limited risk. I have the full VCDS already.

Thanks!
Lktuning
New
Drives: Vw Polo 6C 1.0 TSI Highline

Post by Lktuning »

Original 6C Reverse Camera parts:

6C0980121 Camera
3W0807210B support for reversing camera
6C0807151 end cap for vehicles with reversing camera system
6C0971930 Bracket coupling st. connector housing reversing Camera
000098712A adapter aerial wire reversing camera 1000mm
000098670A adapter aerial wire infotainment system 300mm
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

FiftyPlus wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:27 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:11 am Snip ---- Snip:-
Thanks for that.
https://www.kufatec.com/en/all-products ... o-6c-40224
Kufatec is €499, so about £440, quite a bit more expensive. No reason why, it appears the same part?

On the coding, I have a Ross Tech PDF on how to code the 6C for the camera, it's easy enough. I will post here when I confirm it works.

On the head unit, indications, insofar as I can find, are the camera will work with all of them. The one I have is colour and has navigation, so maybe not the basic. I am not an expert in these options. At £200, it's a limited risk. I have the full VCDS already.

Thanks!
Most of these kit suppliers do list what the assumed "connected" components are by part number which can be checked using VCDS, that is quite a price difference, all I've ever bought from Kufatec was cables.
FiftyPlus
New

Post by FiftyPlus »

OK, well I have ordered the parts from VAGTEC. £227 incl shipping to Dublin. I will post back here when the job is done ( or otherwise :-0 )

EDIT. A bit of web searching suggests that VAG TEC are far from a reliable business partner. It will be interesting to see what turns up :shock:

Watch this space...
FiftyPlus
New

Post by FiftyPlus »

OK, so zero communication from VAG TEC, but I clicked on order status and get a UCP suggestion that it's on it's way.... from Poland...

In Transit 04/30/2019 5:00 A.M. Dobra Strykow, Poland
Departure Scan

04/30/2019 12:56 A.M. Dobra Strykow, Poland Export Scan
04/29/2019 10:00 P.M. Dobra Strykow, Poland Arrival Scan
04/29/2019 6:03 P.M. Swiebodzice, Poland Departure Scan
04/29/2019 3:45 P.M. Swiebodzice, Poland Origin Scan
04/29/2019 11:39 A.M. Swiebodzice, Poland The UPS Access Point™ location has prepared the package for return to UPS or pickup by UPS
FiftyPlus
New

Post by FiftyPlus »

OK, so zero communication from VAG TEC, but I clicked on order status and get a UPS link suggestion that it's on it's way.... from Poland...

In Transit 04/30/2019 5:00 A.M. Dobra Strykow, Poland
Departure Scan

04/30/2019 12:56 A.M. Dobra Strykow, Poland Export Scan
04/29/2019 10:00 P.M. Dobra Strykow, Poland Arrival Scan
04/29/2019 6:03 P.M. Swiebodzice, Poland Departure Scan
04/29/2019 3:45 P.M. Swiebodzice, Poland Origin Scan
04/29/2019 11:39 A.M. Swiebodzice, Poland The UPS Access Point™ location has prepared the package for return to UPS or pickup by UPS
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

You sounded a bit surprised there to discover that your kit is getting shipped from Poland, I don't think that they are trying to hide the fact that they are based there and only having a UK presence to maybe deal with local issues as and when they arise.

You'd never get that sort of savings dealing with a company based in UK or Germany.
FiftyPlus
New

Post by FiftyPlus »

OK, so the kit turned up and it looks generally fine...a bag with a cable kit which looks new and a bag with camera assembly and matching connectors. However the camera assembly is clearly secondhand.

I will post a picture, but the road muck in the crevices of the mounting assembly is clearly visible. It's removed from a donor car.
Zero instructions, no invoice, nothing.
Frankly I don't care too much if it's previously used, provided it works. But it is sharp practice.

So, does anyone have instructions on fitting the rear view camera??? I can probably figure it out, but nicer if I have instructions.

1) I will connect to central unit, recode & test before I do anything.

2) then remove the bumper (cut the hole??) and run the cable.
FiftyPlus
New

Post by FiftyPlus »

Hi All
OK, so I decided to connect the camera to the head unit & code the computer before I did any bumper surgery, to see if things were working.

Connections appear fairly straightforward, 2 pins to currently empty locations on the 12 pin display connector, ground, permanent positive & reverse signal.
I had information on VCDS coding but it suggested selecting the "Navigation" module which would not respond for me. (This 2016 Polo 6C has Navigation & proximity sensors)
So a hunt on the internet suggested I go to "Information Electronics" and on Long Coding Byte 13 there is an option to select Reversing Camera. So I "DID IT" and the net result was for all parking sensors to be come unavailable. And no sign of a camera.

Another poke around and found in "Park Steer Assist" in Long Coding Byte 4-5, a drop down giving camera choices. So I selected 10 Camera Type: Rear View Camera(RVC) installed. Again, I "did-it". Locked, unlocked, etc etc, no difference. So even if the camera was a dud, I should still see a difference in the Park Assist display.

Is there anyone out there with VCDS and Parking Sensors & RVC that might be able to guide me.

If I get there I will write the process up in detail. In theory, this is an easy upgrade.

Thanks.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

I have vcds plus Rvc and sensors but i have just the composition media unit.

It's the 5F module that the changes need to be made as when i changed my unit i needed to recode the camera back in.
FiftyPlus
New

Post by FiftyPlus »

Ok, thanks Dink.
I went back again to Information Electronics (5f) and redid the code ( so now RVC is selected in both 5f & Park/ steer assist)

And sure enough the display changes to the segmented Park Assist/ Camera view ... for a few seconds: and them "ParkAssist" Unavailable" message appears on the screen, display reverts to Nav/ Radio, whatever was in operation.
The actual camera view (i.e. image) is not displayed, even for a second.. just black.

I have disconnected the hardware, as I don't think it makes any difference. As far as I can see the behaviour is the same, hardware connected or not.

I will post a message on the Ross Tech forum and see if I get any coding suggestion there.

I was surprised when I removed the Infotainment module that it's just a 2cm thick screen. With a giant big hole behind it.

Thanks for the help!
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

The brains are in the glovebox the display is just that.

I'm not sure from your post but did you connect it to the brains or the screen?