New Turbo Help

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
lukejames
New
Drives: 2011 Polo 77 TSI

New Turbo Help

Post by lukejames »

Hi all,

I have been having issues with a 2011 1.2L TSI Polo that I bought a couple of months back.

The car used to throw show a EPC light if I gave it a bit of a push, the one day the Engine Light came on. I had my local mechanic scan the code and they believed it was a stretched timing chain, I did some research and sure enough it seems to be a common issue, so I had that replaced.

However a couple of days later I had the same issue again with the EPC light coming on, (no engine light, so replacing the chain has fixed that). My mechanic said it could be one of two things:

1) Bad waste gate actuator (with his 2nd hand unit)
2) Bad Turbo

He believed that he could probably replace the actuator and it would be fine, however if it wasn't then I'd be a up for a new turbo. The second hand actuator seems to have helped, no more EPC light, BUT sometimes under load the car does struggle a bit, but not all the time.

So I was thinking that it's probably whatever the actuator operates inside the turbo that isn't sealing properly all of the time, so I best replace the turbo.

I would quote $2600 AUD for a genuine replacement, but I was going to just buy one and fit it myself. I got the part number and found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32924 ... 3c00RItmlD seems to be very cheap, but this is just my daily driver and I probably wont try to get more power out of it, so I'm willing to take the risk.

Firstly, has anyone had this experience? Secondly, is there a better option for the turbo that is a direct bolt on?
lukejames
New
Drives: 2011 Polo 77 TSI

Re: New Turbo Help

Post by lukejames »

Figured I would just update this.

I purchased and fitted a new wastegate actuator as there was a bit of play in the one that was fitted at the time.

Purchased it off AliExpress, fitted it, no dramas at all, infact getting more power out of it now, with my OBDII scan tool plugged in I'm getting 12-14PSI
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: New Turbo Help

Post by RUM4MO »

I thought that it was difficult to replace the actuator and get it working well with its turbo in the workshop, that was always the reason why VW dealerships prefer to replace the entire turbo assembly to sort this sort of problem out - maybe not?