Idle Clatter - 2015 6c polo 1.4 tdi w/30k Problem or Feature??

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ed.silmon-monerri
New
Drives: 6c 1.4 TDI SE

Idle Clatter - 2015 6c polo 1.4 tdi w/30k Problem or Feature??

Post by ed.silmon-monerri »

Hi,

I'm just wondering if these are common for being weak? I can't see a lot about the 1.4 tdi anywhere, and nothing about the clutches, just lots about the 1.9 tdi, which AFAIK this is a 3 cylinder version of.

I'm also wondering if any solid flywheel conversions for the 1.9 fit the 1.4 as they seem to be around the same size (230mm)?

TL:DR
I have a 2015 Polo 1.4 tdi with a 5 speed CUSA box and when running it has a random and very loud clatter on idle coming from the middle of the engine bay that goes away when the clutch is pressed or quietens down a bit when the engine is held down. The car only has about 25k miles but it was front-end crashed and repaired around 10k. When I first saw it at 15k miles and there was a low-pitched, slightly tappy, quiet noise when the clutch was disengaged, which to me sounded a bit off but as it was needed ASAP I left it alone and forgot about it. Roll on 10k later and having replaced a very clattery drop-link, the quieter noise is still there but there's also now the very loud clatter on tickover and it happens both when the car is cold and a bit warm. I'll upload a video of the noise later.

I'm a mechanic, but haven't worked as a job for over a decade and don't know much about DMF's apart from they're a PITA and are typically more fragile than solid mass. I also think that someone learning to drive in the car may have triggered this fault which is left over from the crash it had, which cracked a chunk of alloy from the front (pulley side) engine mount and triggered at least one airbag so must've been sudden and I think may have reduced the lifespan dramatically as 30k is far too early for an average car clutch and the symptoms all point to me to be a DMF issue, IMO. The clutch pedal is nice and progressive too...
Last edited by ed.silmon-monerri on Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ed.silmon-monerri
New
Drives: 6c 1.4 TDI SE

Re: Idle Clatter - (2015) 1.4 tdi w/25k dmf dual mass flywheel failure after crash-repair?

Post by ed.silmon-monerri »

I have a video ( :lol: :mrgreen: ) Is the random clacking sound normal?! There's a bit of a leak in the NS drive-shaft oil seal and as the noise goes away with the clutch down I wonder if the level is a bit low and needs sloshing around a bit first or IDK? After I restarted the engine a minute later the noise had gone...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/UTL2KfuB5mA[/youtube]
navcom60
New
Drives: 1.4TDI bluemotion

Re: Idle Clatter - 2015 6c polo 1.4 tdi w/30k Problem or Feature??

Post by navcom60 »

This should be a recall issue but VW trying to con people into paying for it to be fixed

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/volksw ... /comments/
heftyshooly
New
Drives: Polo 6C 1.4 TDI BMT

Post by heftyshooly »

Hi ed.silmon-monerri,
Sorry to dig up an old post, but do you have any update on this issue? I might have a similar problem.
Bill69
New
Drives: 1.4tdi 2015 6C

Post by Bill69 »

I have a Polo 1.4 tdi, 2015 6C
Basically took me ages to find out that it has DMF , everyone was telling me it SMF. From the noise i could tell the DMF had failed. These cars had a recall to change them over to SMF. I contacted vw, they would not do it for 6 year old car, 2nd owner. Hence you have to buy the conversion kit, £813 , this includes SMF, 3pcs clutch kit and 1 front drive shaft. I am in the process of getting this work done next week.
monkeyfrog
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.4 TDI 2015

Post by monkeyfrog »

Can anyone update me on this issue... I purchased my 2nd hand 2015 VW polo 3.5 months ago 61k miles on the clock and have now found that it needs a new flywheel, I am being quoted in excess of £1200 inc VAT and then VW need to update the computer chip at an additional cost. It seems to me this should have been a recall issue and that the part that was fitted initially was not fir for purpose. I'm absolutely devastated as don't have access to that sort of money. Not sure what my rights are
EdSilmon
New

Post by EdSilmon »

Hi. Replied to my own post lol! Did you get anywhere with a warranty claim? Better video here [youtube]https://youtu.be/WeE3VP3Yu4Q[/YouTube]
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

If its the same size as 1.9 tdi, get blueprint.
Im using it for 2 years on my 1.6 TDI ( we have lots of hills, start go traffic i did launches), now i have big turbo uprade and it's still holding and not slipping!
Cheap ~100 EUR for conversion set. And the pedal is Soft