WindScreen wiper fouls bonnet ..!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

WindScreen wiper fouls bonnet ..!

Post by albob »

I have a MY16 BlueGt. Not had it long :: When washing my car I like to raise the windscreen wipers off the screen. On this car, I cant raise the drivers side blade because the metal arm hits the bonnet (just where the blade hinges). Anybody else had this problem ; are they all like that ??
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: WindScreen wiper fouls bonnet ..!

Post by SRGTD »

You need to put the wipers into the service position.

- ensure the bonnet is closed.
- turn the ignition key on so the instrumentation panel warning lights illuminate (don’t start the engine).
- turn the ignition off.
- press the wiper arm down. Wipers will move to the service position (vertical on the screen) so you can pull them away from the screen.

To move wipers back to the parked position, go through the above procedure again and the wipers will move back to the parked position. If the wiper arms are still pulled away from the screen, make sure you move them back onto the glass first, before going through this (re-parking the wipers at the bottom of the screen) procedure.

Check out the section in the owners manual; windscreen wipers => service position. It’s page 102 in my manual (edition 11.2015).

Always worth going through the manual when you get a new car. Not the most exciting read (it’s a good good read just before going to bed if you suffer from insomnia 😂), but it’s good to know and understand all the car’s features, rather than find something ‘new’ 2-3 years into ownership that you could have been using and benefitting from.
Last edited by SRGTD on Fri May 31, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

SRGTD -- you Sir, are a star. Thanks for the reply, gonna try that now.....
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

albob wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:21 am SRGTD -- you Sir, are a star. Thanks for the reply, gonna try that now.....
No problem. Happy to help! 👍
Black6c
Getting There!
Drives: 6c 1.2 (110) TSI DSG

Post by Black6c »

SRGTD wrote:You need to put the wipers into the service position.

- ensure the bonnet is closed.
- turn the ignition key on so the instrumentation panel warning lights illuminate (don’t start the engine).
- turn the ignition off.
- press the wiper arm down. Wipers will move to the service position (vertical on the screen) so you can pull them away from the screen.

To move wipers back to the parked position, go through the above procedure again and the wipers will move back to the parked position. If the wiper arms are still pulled away from the screen, make sure you move them back onto the glass first, before going through this (re-parking the wipers at the bottom of the screen) procedure.

Check out the section in the owners manual; windscreen wipers => service position. It’s page 102 in my manual (edition 11.2015).

Always worth going through the manual when you get a new car. Not the most exciting read (it’s a good good read just before going to bed if you suffer from insomnia [emoji23]), but it’s good to know and understand all the car’s features, rather than find something ‘new’ 2-3 years into ownership that you could have been using and benefitting from.
Wipers will also go back down if you drive above a certain speed. Happened to me when I moved the car while washing it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

This is a form over function design, imho. :-D
Picked up a 2017 6C Cross Polo recently and had this same issue. My hood needs paint. Biggest problem with this is at the filing stations where the attendants just don't know they shouldn't lift the wipers. They just jump right in without knowing and you have same issue with paint getting damaged. I guess I have to change my requests for fuel to include a tell-me-if-you're-going-to-clean-the-windshield request.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Same on SEAT Ibizas since 2008/9, I had to apply paint to my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza after she failed to notice that "feature"!

I had a Vauxhall(Opel) Cavalier(Vectra) GSI(GTE) 4X4 2000 16V from 1991 and it had that "feature", I quickly found out that Vauxhall had bowed to pressure and changed the wiper arm design at the next facelift, so as soon as it was available, I bought a new pair of wiper arms!

Edit:- I seem to remember that "windscreen cleaning" stuff in France, if you stopped in traffic - I usually handed out a big F**k Off, these people were not French nationals, well maybe they were but not originally living in France.