Timing belt change?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Canaryboy93
New
Drives: Match 1.2

Timing belt change?

Post by Canaryboy93 »

Hi all. First Post here.

I have a 2013 1.2 litre 60 Match and it's on 68k miles. The engine seems to sound fine and I think it's running okay..

Does anyone know when I should be changing the timing belt? I'm thinking more of a preventative maintenance measure rather than a required measure at the moment as it doesn't sound like I need to replace it.

My friend said every 100k miles but Haynes manuals and online say every 60k. I'm still learning a lot about vehicle maintenance at the moment, so I'd rather learn from you guys..

Also, any idea on how much a change would usually cost? I've only just started servicing my Polo and replacing parts on it, so unfortunately I think changing the belt is beyond me.

Cheers
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Timing belt change?

Post by RUM4MO »

As far as I can make out, a 2013 Polo Match 1.2 60PS is a petrol engined 3 cylinder 12 valve type with a chain camshaft drive, so if all that is true, then no change period for the chain, just a case of keeping an ear on how it sounds and react if it gets noisy - as well as making sure that it gets regular oil and filter changes using the correct spec of oil.

Edit:- changed "cambelt" to "camshaft" - my error!
Last edited by RUM4MO on Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sewin elwy
New
Drives: 1.2 match 2012

Post by sewin elwy »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:14 pm As far as I can make out, a 2013 Polo Match 1.2 60PS is a petrol engined 3 cylinder 12 valve type with a chain cambelt drive, so if all that is true, then no change period for the chain, just a case of keeping an ear on how it sounds and react if it gets noisy - as well as making sure that it gets regular oil and filter changes using the correct spec of oil.
The 60 ps is I believe the single overhead cam version of the three cylinder engine with two valves per cylinder as opposed to the 70ps version which has twin overhead cams and four valves per cylinder! it does have the timing chain in these engines as do in fact the early Tsi versions, later being belt driven and in fact a totally different engine.

yes, totally right in that it doesn't really have a time change but oil maintenance and being aware of noises from the front of the engine (off side end) should be listened for! A sort of clattering rattle is the noise! Although they are not exactly quiet when good! The timing chain runs from the crank shaft up to the cam/s shaft/s and has two plastic guide rails pinching the chain between them. One is fixed on three dowels and the other pivots from a single top dowel and is forced in towards the centre by a spring assisted hydraulic tensioner. This is where the problems can start. Poor oil maintenance will both affect the chain rails and the hydraulic effectiveness of the tensioner causing wear to the plastic rails, this will then lead to premature wear to the chain and sprockets and eventually the chain will skip a tooth or teeth. You have the single overhead cam so instantly your cam shaft position sensor will show a fault..... engine light on! and poor running. the double overhead cam version only has one cam sensor (poor design) and its possible to have the symptoms you are experiencing with no engine light coming on! as the cam with the censor is still possibly in sync! There has been an upgraded set of chain guides and a new tensioner to remedy (read improve but not cure) this but I'm not sure of the exact date these were fitted but if you replace your faulty parts these will be fitted.

Not a good idea to keep running it as further chain or guide damage could result in a total engine loss. heads and blocks have to really be replaced as totally built units so expensive!!very!!! VW if they sort your timing chain will probably charge just over a £1000 but will guarantee the work for two years and any damage caused by that failure! Not perhaps so dear then when compared to a non franchised garage and of course genuine parts..... oh and search for the best price and ask for price matching at your local VW. to do it yourself you'd need specific tools and real knowledge with an ability to assess what caused the damage and how to sort that out etc.

Sorry its a derge but hope it helps!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, I can't think why I wrote 60PS is a 12 valve engine - that would make the 70PS having even more valves!
Canaryboy93
New
Drives: Match 1.2

Post by Canaryboy93 »

sewin elwy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:59 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:14 pm As far as I can make out, a 2013 Polo Match 1.2 60PS is a petrol engined 3 cylinder 12 valve type with a chain cambelt drive, so if all that is true, then no change period for the chain, just a case of keeping an ear on how it sounds and react if it gets noisy - as well as making sure that it gets regular oil and filter changes using the correct spec of oil.
The 60 ps is I believe the single overhead cam version of the three cylinder engine with two valves per cylinder as opposed to the 70ps version which has twin overhead cams and four valves per cylinder! it does have the timing chain in these engines as do in fact the early Tsi versions, later being belt driven and in fact a totally different engine.

yes, totally right in that it doesn't really have a time change but oil maintenance and being aware of noises from the front of the engine (off side end) should be listened for! A sort of clattering rattle is the noise! Although they are not exactly quiet when good! The timing chain runs from the crank shaft up to the cam/s shaft/s and has two plastic guide rails pinching the chain between them. One is fixed on three dowels and the other pivots from a single top dowel and is forced in towards the centre by a spring assisted hydraulic tensioner. This is where the problems can start. Poor oil maintenance will both affect the chain rails and the hydraulic effectiveness of the tensioner causing wear to the plastic rails, this will then lead to premature wear to the chain and sprockets and eventually the chain will skip a tooth or teeth. You have the single overhead cam so instantly your cam shaft position sensor will show a fault..... engine light on! and poor running. the double overhead cam version only has one cam sensor (poor design) and its possible to have the symptoms you are experiencing with no engine light coming on! as the cam with the censor is still possibly in sync! There has been an upgraded set of chain guides and a new tensioner to remedy (read improve but not cure) this but I'm not sure of the exact date these were fitted but if you replace your faulty parts these will be fitted.

Not a good idea to keep running it as further chain or guide damage could result in a total engine loss. heads and blocks have to really be replaced as totally built units so expensive!!very!!! VW if they sort your timing chain will probably charge just over a £1000 but will guarantee the work for two years and any damage caused by that failure! Not perhaps so dear then when compared to a non franchised garage and of course genuine parts..... oh and search for the best price and ask for price matching at your local VW. to do it yourself you'd need specific tools and real knowledge with an ability to assess what caused the damage and how to sort that out etc.

Sorry its a derge but hope it helps!
Thanks, that's very informative.

My oil changes are regular at 9k intervals, to avoid sludge build up.

The engine still sounds fine at 75k miles, nothing rattling yet! So I'll just keep an ear out. As uou say, its not the smoothest sohnding engine by any means.