Buying used BlueGT 6c. What to look out for?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ahfh1
New
Drives: 6c

Buying used BlueGT 6c. What to look out for?

Post by ahfh1 »

Hi,

I am going to look at a used 64 plate Polo 6c DSG this weekend.

Any tips on what to look out for?

The car has also done 40k miles. For those who have exceeded this mileage, have you had any problems?

Thanks in advance!
27_craig
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Re: Buying used BlueGT 6c. What to look out for?

Post by 27_craig »

Hello and welcome.

I have now had my Polo BlueGT for about 2 or 3 months and I have to say they are fab little cars and pretty quick too!

DSG box is fab, first auto I have owned and I love it, flappy paddles are a bonus too and great fun.

Just be aware that the BlueGT does have quite hard suspension and does ride pretty harshly so this may be a bit of a surprise to you if your not used to a car with sports suspension etc.

Only problem I have had with mine is the 2 rear alloys were buckled which gave me lots of vibration through the seats and steering wheel etc, thankfully VW replaced these free of charge for me.

I have a 66 plate one with 35k on the clock, go get yourself a quality little car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahfh1
New

Post by ahfh1 »

I test drove a BlueGT and also noticed I could feel most bumps in the road.

Has anyone changed the suspension for something more comfortable?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Tyre choice can make quite a difference to a car’s ride quality. The stiffer the tyre sidewall, the firmer the ride will feel.

I have a GTI and although it has a firm ride (probably firmer than the Blue GT) I don’t find it at all uncomfortable.

Bear in mind that if you change the suspension to make it more compliant, the trade off may be a deterioration in handling. Also changing the suspension will be classed as a modification for insurance purposes, so you’d need to inform your insurer who may increase your premium.
27_craig
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by 27_craig »

Hi can I ask what make tyres you have on your GTI please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve got Continental Sport Contact 3’s on my GTI - 215/40 R17’s (I think they’ve been superseded now and the latest version is the Sport Contact 6). They’re quite a firm riding tyre, but I’ve driven warm / hot hatches with a firm suspension set up for 29 of the past 39 years, so that’s what I’m used to. They’re probably not the best tyre choice for anyone looking for a soft, compliant ride.

The Tyre Reviews website (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/) is worth taking a look at as it includes customer reviews of most of the tyres available in the UK. Each review also includes a summary score under various headings; Dry grip, Wet grip, Road feedback, Handling, Wear, Comfort and Buy again.
ahfh1
New

Post by ahfh1 »

I had the Continental Sport Contact 5 on my Audi A3. They were the OEM tyres and I could hear the roar from these tyres.