Replace USB port in center console?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
polonr1
New
Drives: 6C 1.2 105 Highline (2017)

Replace USB port in center console?

Post by polonr1 »

Hi,

I'm installing a Pioneer Navgate Evo (AVIC-EVO1-PL2-VAL) in my Polo 6C from 2017, but I need to replace the USB port to support CarPlay.

I have ordered the replacement USB that fits in the center console port (I have a USB installed already), but how would I install it? What do I need to disassemble to run the wire from the console to the headunit/Navgate Evo?

Thanks!
exantas
Bronze Member
Drives: Skoda Fabia 5J 1.2 TSI

Re: Replace USB port in center console?

Post by exantas »

Depends the cable adapter that you bought. There are adapters that convert the vw USB cable to regular USB.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

polonr1
New

Post by polonr1 »

exantas wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:23 pm Depends the cable adapter that you bought. There are adapters that convert the vw USB cable to regular USB.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
I have this in my car currently:

And I've ordered this kit:

(https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/produc ... -36591.htm)

The conversion kits you're talking about, would they keep the current slot, and just replace the cable? Or is it the same as I bought?
Last edited by polonr1 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polonr1
New

Post by polonr1 »

Maybe I could actually use this: https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTVWUSB.4

Is that what you're talking about?
exantas
Bronze Member

Post by exantas »

If you don't plan to add aux port and don't want to take apart the center console, you could use something like this.
This terminates before the factory radio unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284406 ... st=ae803_4

But you will have to check what are the cables coming out from your factory radio to be use that you can use something like that. I am not sure how cables are terminated on Polo 6C factory radio. I am just proposing a solution like that, for ease of installation.
polonr1
New

Post by polonr1 »

exantas wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:29 pm If you don't plan to add aux port and don't want to take apart the center console, you could use something like this.
This terminates before the factory radio unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284406 ... st=ae803_4

But you will have to check what are the cables coming out from your factory radio to be use that you can use something like that. I am not sure how cables are terminated on Polo 6C factory radio. I am just proposing a solution like that, for ease of installation.

That could definitely be an option.

I'm just worried that the USB plug in my car (as far as I can read) is not supporting Carplay (think it can only be used for charging). So using this adapter wouldn't fix that I guess.

So that's the reason why I suppose I need a new USB plug. And no, I don't need AUX at all :-)
exantas
Bronze Member

Post by exantas »

Does your current radio support playing music from files in a usb stick?

If yes I would think that you can use your existing cable with an adapter.

Unless carplay needs USB 3.0, but I don't know something about that. The head unit you bought, does it have USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?
polonr1
New

Post by polonr1 »

exantas wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:53 pm Does your current radio support playing music from files in a usb stick?

If yes I would think that you can use your existing cable with an adapter.

Unless carplay needs USB 3.0, but I don't know something about that. The head unit you bought, does it have USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?
It does play through a USB stick. So I agree that there shouldn't be anything against using it for Carplay. Just from what I can read on danish bulletins is that they suggest changing it. But of course I can just buy one of the adapters and try it out. If that works, I don't have to mess with the center console.

It's a Pioneer Navgate Evo. Can't see if it's USB 2 or 3, but it's from 2018, so it's probably USB 3.
Botanic
New
Drives: Unicycle

Post by Botanic »

How did it go with this one? Did you have to replace the USB port?

Are you happy with the player?
See: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=68456