EPC fault, Limp mode and eventual engine management light.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
James220
New
Drives: 14” R-Line standard for now.

EPC fault, Limp mode and eventual engine management light.

Post by James220 »

Hi guys,

brand new Volkswagen polo owner so forgive my ignorance if I've completely overlooked anything relating to this. First of all, I just yesterday bought a 14' Polo R-Line as its's something I've always fancied and it's a decent car for the Mrs to drive. I was coming back up the M6 Northbound and all of a sudden, disaster. EPC light came on and the car put itself into limp mode. I phoned a garage from where I live and they advised me to nurse the car home rather than leave it where it was. I did exactly that but it was excruciating, 3500 rev's in second gear and i was barely making 20 mph. by the time i reached home the engine management light had come on (only about two miles from home) but it is solid light not flashing which I am grateful for. I've arranged for the car to be looked at by Peugeot as it's our only dealer for many many miles but does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? I've seen it could be a brake light switch but i'm not a mechanic so I don't know the likelihood of that. Cheers in advance for any help or information and again my apologies, I'm new to VW and this forum.
onepointfourbeast
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6R

Re: EPC fault, Limp mode and eventual engine management light.

Post by onepointfourbeast »

Last edited by onepointfourbeast on Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onepointfourbeast
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6R

Post by onepointfourbeast »

EPC is usually Powersteering, traction control abs or throttle sensor best to get a ODB2 reader to narrow it down
fleagal
New
Drives: Polo GTi 2015 6C

Post by fleagal »

It could be any number of things. I had it on an Audi A3 2 litre petrol which was never fixed - I got rid in the end. The garage "definitely fixed it this time" on a number of occasions. Throttle body (x3), throttle pedal sensor, new battery - none of it worked. I eventually lost faith and went for a Polo.

The last time I encountered the problem was with my step-daughters Seat Ibiza a couple of weeks ago. It turned out to be a coil pack. 90 minutes later, the RAC replaced it and for the sake of £37 the car runs as it should and fuel economy has improved.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Best plan would be to get it scanned with a VW Group fully compliant scan tool, any generic run of the mill OBD special will only reveal emissions codes, a fully complaint scan tool will reveal a lot more more accurate fault codes, but I'd expect that your local Pug garage will have a suitable scan tool covering other marques including VW.

Could be a simple cheap fix, time will tell, not a good start so far from home though!
James220
New
Drives: 14” R-Line standard for now.

Post by James220 »

Cheers for the thoughts guys, turns out it was a wee bit of rubber, a gator of some description from what the mechanic said to me but it was a £15 part and that included fitting so no complaints either way. It was to do with the throttling system anyway but it is fixed and hopefully i will never have to endure 135 miles home which took 6 and a half hours, about 110 of that is 60pmh so you can imagine the pain. cheers anyway!