Manuals?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Manuals?

Post by wolfie »

Where and what would be a good choice for workshop information.

Chance are I'm going to pick up a Haynes manual in the not too distant future. Only drawback is that it doesn't cover the TSi, which is annoying. That said it would still be OK for all the common stuff. I've used ErWin a couple of times at @ 7 Euros a pop for an hours access. That's OK, but some of that time is lost figuring out how to navigate the site.

Are the online downloadable ones worth a go. Like this one

https://www.easymanuals.co.uk/product/v ... 2010-2017/

Or are there better alternatives??
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Manuals?

Post by iichel »

Workshop manuals is more or less a copy of ELSA, the VW dealership programme.
https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen ... _via_pr_no./
(select different parts in the left hand side column)
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I've gone for easymanuals for my wife's 2015 6C Polo, so I'd think that their 6R Polo one would be okay, also bought one for my other car. I just went for the DVD option and stuffed it all on a USB stick, and created a more bespoke version by copying that into another folder with reduced "my car" specific sections. Nothing wrong with having the Haynes for the rest of the car, I bought that for my wife's 2015 6C Polo even though some stuff is not relevant, but a lot is!

Edit:- same one for 6C !
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

wolfie wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:25 pm Where and what would be a good choice for workshop information.

Chance are I'm going to pick up a Haynes manual in the not too distant future. Only drawback is that it doesn't cover the TSi, which is annoying. That said it would still be OK for all the common stuff. I've used ErWin a couple of times at @ 7 Euros a pop for an hours access. That's OK, but some of that time is lost figuring out how to navigate the site.

Are the online downloadable ones worth a go. Like this one

Or are there better alternatives??
You can find out how to navigate the site without paying the access fee.
In erWin you have all the work and maintenance processes for 6R. Made by VW

For example, the change of brake fluid is in the maintenance, the bleeding of brake fluid is in the brake system.

I downloaded these documents in a couple of minutes... and others that interested me only by pure vice and to check if updates.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Cheers, That's all good. Sounds like I've already found stumbled across all the useful information sources. (or been pointed towards them buy you kind gents) I just thought I'd ask, in case I've missed anything obvious or free!!

Think I need to revisit ErWin, get myself a little better organised and grab all I can within the allocated time slot. I'm tempted to have a look at ErWin Skoda, just to see what additional information I find relating to upgrading the cam-chain, lower sprocket. As I don't think VW list it as a job/action
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

I too have recently purchased a Polo 6R/6C package from EasyManuals. Thus far, one of the best buys ever for my 6C. With EasyManuals you can get the requisite manual in various different formats - DVD, USB thumb-drive, or a download. I opted for the download, as then you can transfer any or some of the constituent PDFs to storage media of your own choice. It was a large download but, on my particular Internet connection, took only a matter of minutes to complete. Amongst the different packages, the most expensive comes in at around £80 but is a version based on your VIN no. and includes all the latest workshop procedural updates and is all tailored specifically to your own model. I shyed away from that personalised version, though, on the basis that, for security reasons, it's never a good idea to give away your vehicle's VIN no. together with your name and address (possible vehicle cloning). But hey, I've probably worried about nothing. The standard package for the Polo, covering years 2009 - 2017 incl., is pretty good, though, and cost me a mere £15.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

I think I will also download the manuals from EasyManuals to compare.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

ciclo,

For my download of the basic package from EasyManuals, what I don't have in the set are the following that I see in your ErWin package:

Amarok - Basic Equip ..
Wiring D 6R 1.2l petrol ..
Wiring D 6C Airbag, ...
Transporter - Basic equipm ..

But possibly, in mine these might have been given different headup names by EasyManuals.

It might just be that the EasyManuals PDFs are a little less up-to-date than the erWin set you've shown above.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

That will always be the case with Erwin, every document will get updated when necessary, it has to be that way as workshops will be paying for an annual prescription and expect that to happen.

All the other online re-sellers are just downloading or copying from a version of discs being handed out to main dealers to update/backup their data sets.

With older cars I don't think that there is much to worry about wrt to changes to manuals everything should be quite stable now - but for cars still in production, it might be more relevant.

I think that "you pays your money and you takes a chance" - certainly a lot better than Haynes if you have a newer version that Haynes do not cover yet, and remember Haynes publications are only a snap shot in time as far as procedures for concerned - no follow up updates being from that source, well not in the printed versions anyway.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

From the feedback that's here the EasyManuals look good value. The models covered in the Haynes manual are quite limited so are less than ideal to begin with. They run quite expensive too. The Online subscription version weighs in at £16.99 (£22.99 in hardback) They don't appear as detailed as they were in years gone by either.

Think I'll bite the bullet and download an EasyManuals version at the weekend.
Slider09
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.2 SE

Post by Slider09 »

I use Elsa for manuals and ETKA for parts info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

OK, so bit the bullet and downloaded the basic £14.99 download package. (as below)

I've literally only had 10 mins looking through what you get.
It totals some 69 PDF files covering most things you'd expect to see. Off the top of my head the first thing I looked for was information with regards to bleeding the brakes. Found what I was looking for pretty much straight away, so happy. Next thing I looked for was "wiring and current-flow diagrams" Disappointed with the available information there. As I say I'm only 10 mins in but the only circuits I could find were related to the airbag system but not specific to my model. Also much of the information is not vehicle specific, though they do offer a "VIN" version which may be better.

Gut feeling is you'd be better off making a list of the information you think you need and purchase a session on ErWin. (Or ask on your local friendly forum. :wink: :) )
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

These PDFs are from the same source as Erwin, though the Erwin ones might be more up to date.

At a guess if you requested a VIN specific manual, it would be the same but with all irrelevant PDFs missing.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

I'm not too fussed about weeding out the stuff that's irrelevant. I just thought there would be more content on the wiring/electrical, current flow information. I expected there to be reams of wiring diagrams and they appear to be scarce to say the least. It's not that I have any specific job or task in mind, I was just interested.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I might be completely wrong, but I think that there are diagrams in more than one area.