Radio stuck on Starting Telephone

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
simon.wiltshire
New

Radio stuck on Starting Telephone

Post by simon.wiltshire »

Hi all

My Son has a 2014 Polo and blue tooth seems to be playing up. When trying to connect the screen just gets stuck on the message Starting Telephone

He has removed all connected phones from the radio. Told his iPhone to forget about it and reset network settings but still keeps getting same issue. He also has issues with DAB

I’m tempted to pull a fuse to rest the radio but have 2 issues here
1 the car didn’t come with an owners manual
2 the car didn’t come with a radio key. Person who sold it is said it didn’t need one which I didn’t believe but I have no way of going back to them

Any advice appreciated
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Radio stuck on Starting Telephone

Post by RUM4MO »

Things like radio code keys have vanished, that radio will become part of the car when first connected to it if it was a "virgin/new unused" one when fitted, if not it would have needed to be "aligned" to that car, so no issue with pulling out fuses, though remember it will have a permanent feed as well as a "running" feed.

Newer versions of Polo, ie the 6C evolution of the 6R, got a completely new electronics package including infotainment system, so some people have felt the need to perform a system reset which I believe is done by holding in the power button for a long time, exactly how long I don't know, I'd expect a minute would be more than necessary, some maybe try that before removing all its power.

Can you say if its a 6R or a 6C version, the VIN plate will not help there as they all went by the "6R" basic platform type, also which engine as that might indicate which version it is.

Edit:- maybe I'm well off the mark, but maybe try the VW website and go into the owners area, you might find archived versions of owners handbooks and "audio" handbooks in there, VW Group have done that for some marques.
simon.wiltshire
New

Hi

Thanks for the response

The VIN Number has a 6R in it.

The car is Polo 1.2 SE TSI Registered September 2014.

I did call VW up and they said it would be £20 to get the code for me, which I didnt think was so bad, but yur thinking if this is the orignal radio still then it should be ok without it if I Was to disconnect the Battery?

Thanks in advance
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Right, now to work out if it is a late 6R or an early 6C Polo, look at the engine, is the turbo at the front or the rear of the engine?

If it is at the front then you have a 6R Polo, if the turbo is at the rear of the engine then you have a 6C Polo.

I'd not think that any of this changes if you need a code or not though, good to now for the future and also to work out if this is one of the usual reported errors on the radio/infotainment system.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I think Sept 2014 is about the changeover time from the 6r to 6c, so the OP’s car could be one of the last 6r’s or an early 6c.

There are a few interior and exterior visual differences between the 6r and 6c - some of these are hard to spot as they’re quite subtle - the design of the reflectors in the headlamp units and the internal design of the tail light clusters are slightly different, and the lower front grille design is also different between the 6r and 6c. To check out the differences, I’d suggest the OP does a google search on a 2010 Polo which will be a 6r and a 2016 Polo which will be a 6c and compare the two.

The infotainment unit is one of the more noticeable interior differences between the 6r and 6c. This picture shows the infotainment unit design in the Polo 6c;
EAB4B0FF-C6FE-4FB5-A178-7992E903D638.jpeg
The 6c also has either nine buttons for various functions (heated rear screen, hazard warning flashers, stop start override etc) above the infotainment unit or six buttons and two horizontal card slots above the infotainment unit. The 6r has seven buttons above the infotainment unit screen.

Hopefully, the above, together with the information in RUM4MO’s post will help the OP identify whether their car’s a 6r or 6c.
simon.wiltshire
New

Hi all

Thanks for the responses and sorry for delay but I was away. I havent seen my son last week to get more info on the radio etc to find those details out, but what I did have him do was hold the Power Button for something like 60 seconds or so whilst it rebooted and he tells me for the last week its been fine.

Looking at the software on his radio it informs me the following

Installed SW Train Version: MST2_EU_VW_ZR_POIOST

MU Version: 0105

Part Number: 3Q0035842