Climatic HAVC Error (J519)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Climatic HAVC Error (J519)

Post by Jay-Jay »

Hi everybody,
A month ago a new error appeared into my HAVC control unit and it reappears everytime after I clear DTCs.
The AC works perfectly and I don't notice any malfunction.

This is the error:
Address 08: Auto HVAC (J301) Labels: 6R0-820-045-9AP.clb
Part No SW: 6R0 820 045 J HW: 6R0 820 045 J
Component: Climatic 24 0660
Revision: 00 10 24
VCID: 356197D59C4171E236-8060

1 Fault Found:
00457 - Control Module for Network (J519)
013 - Check DTC Memory
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101101
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 117
Mileage: 134083 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.02.07
Time: 15:35:10
I did some searches on Google and I guess it could be related to the humidity sensor, but I really don't know where to start.

Any help in trying to find a solution to this problem is really appreciated. :)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Climatic HAVC Error (J519)

Post by RUM4MO »

J519 is the BCM controller.

Edit:- I've just spotted the date it happened, 2017!
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm J519 is the BCM controller.
What do you think that error means?
RUM4MO wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm Edit:- I've just spotted the date it happened, 2017!
The error appeared in the control unit memory not more than 1 or 2 months ago.
I casually noticed it while doing other stuff with VCDS.
The date reported by VCDS is completely wrong and it randomly changes for each control unit of the car. Maybe it's because I'm using a not official version of VCDS. Who knows. :roll:
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry, I meant to add that I don't know why that fault would appear on the HVAC unit and be related to the BCM, ie circuit reference J519.

Dates associated with logged faults - well I've always used licensed versions of VCDS that were suitable for the age of VW Group car that I was working on, so for this car I'd think that means HEX-USB+CAN or any other name that Ross-Tech used for that age/version of VCDS. I have just upgraded to HEX-V2, not just for fun but because my older daughter bought a new SEAT Leon Cupra that came new with many old logged faults, so PDI was not carried out very well, and my older version of VCDS, which I knew runs out of life on 2017> cars, could not give some controllers faults any descriptions. All the dates logged with these 9 controllers were or seemed to be credible, the car was built on 22/02/19 and a few faults were date stamped as being then, then later when first moved by the local dealership group and then when they were again moving it to the dealership and its battery was not in a good state of health, but one controller had a date stamp of 2000/00/00 which I'd expect to be the initial before being set, date for all these controllers.

I have noticed the odd crazy date stamp during my times of using VCDS though.

Just one last comment/thought, I seem to remember I was still using VAG-COM when my daughter got her last car, a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza, and VAG-COM work okay for that car, and it was only due to me buying a 2011 Audi S4 that forced me to upgrade VAG-COM to VCDS HEX-USB+CAN, so, as that Ibiza platform was mainly the same as the earlier 6R Polo, then maybe you get away with using even VAG-COM on your 6R Polo. I've forgotten if any of the controllers on that late 2009 Ibiza 6J were "not supported" - and it had a few 6R controllers in it, though in general I've found that earlier SEATs tended to reveal fewer controllers than a same age VW, maybe some older controllers were carried across to the next models in the case of SEATs.

Edit:- one issue with using an unofficial version of VCDS is that some of the later updates, they tend to update VCDS as and when necessary and frequently if changes need to be made or new info appears, and maybe like any S/W package, these updates could include corrections as soon as they have been discovered/reported to them. Much better to use the real thing then you would get support from your seller and Ross-Tech, which might quickly help you in this situation.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

I have a MY2010 Polo 6R.
The VCDS version I'm using is the 18.6, which is uselessly new and updated for my daily car.
I honestly don't see any point in buying the "real" thing (which is really expensive), if I need to use it just once in a while and ONLY for my old car.

Few times I used my unoffical VCDS cable on my MY2018 Audi S1 and I had no problems in accessing all the control units.
So far so good.

The official direct support is a great thing. I agree with that.

Getting back to the Topic argument, I did some searches on the internet, which suggested me to investigate the humidity sensor or the connection between the HVAC unit and the BCM.
As soon as possible I'll check on ElsaWin for more information about electrical connections between these two units.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

It just seems a bit silly that "J519" is being mentioned/reported by the HVAC controller, I would have thought that it would have reported an issue with the humidity sensor, unless VW Group do not have a separate code for that as I think that normally that sensor was only fitted to "higher" VW Group car models - which is strange as well, but maybe the very reason that HVAC controller can work with that humidity sensor but not include it in its fault reporting.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Re: Climatic HAVC Error - 00457 - Control Module for Network (J519)

Post by Jay-Jay »

UPDATE
Today I was casually working on some codings with my clone VCDS (which is working like a charm with the latest 21.3.0 VCDS update), when I decided to further investigate about this topic's problem.
Well, long story short, I figured out how to fix it. :D 8)
The cause was a BCM incorrectly coded (but with no error showing up).
When years ago I installed Bi-Xenon headlights and I modified the long coding of BCM, I must have accidentally unticked a wrong bit, specifically Bit 1 in Byte 21.
I figured it out comparing codings of PRE and POST Bi-Xenon Headlights installation, carefully looking at each Byte and Bit.
I don't know what's the real function of that bit, but I immediately noticed that now when I turn the Light-Switch from first position to 0 (so interior lights turn off), the red leds of the Climatic completely turn off, while they used to dimm with the previous incorrect coding. So, maybe, that bit 1 in Byte 21 had to do with something related to Climatic interior lights.
Maybe someone with more knowloedge could shred some more light on this. But the good news is that I finally deleted that annoying red error always showing up in all VCDS scans of the last years. :D