Composition Media Unit with Micro SD Card

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Guy
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI

Composition Media Unit with Micro SD Card

Post by Guy »

I have a 2015 Polo GTI with the Composition Media Unit. I'm currently using a Sandisk 128 GB SDXC Card and a 64 GB USB stick to hold my music mp3 files.

I'd like to replace both of these with a single 256 GB SDXC card. However it seems considerably easier, and cheaper, to find a Sandisk Micro SDXC card (with an adapter) of that capacity than a full size one.

The VW manual says that " SDXC memory cards up to max. 2 TB (terabytes)" are supported.

But it also says "Do not use SD card adapters".

I wondered if anyone knows the reason for this statement. I could understand that there might be wear and tear issues if one was frequently removing and reinserting a micro card in its adapter. But that wouldn't apply to my usage.

If anyone can shed more light on this I'd be very grateful. Especially if anyone is successfully using a Micro SD card via an adapter.
rbz5416
Getting There!
Drives: 6C

Re: Composition Media Unit with Micro SD Card

Post by rbz5416 »

Not sure if it helps but I have a 128GB micro SD card in an adapter in my 2015 (SD slot on CD player in glovebox). Been in there over three years now.
Guy
Bronze Member

Post by Guy »

That's very helpful! If a 128 GB micro works with an adapter then a 256 GB micro ought to as well.

And if it doesn't then I've got more use elsewhere for a 256 GB micro than I have for a 256 GB full size SDXC card.

Many thanks.
Guy
Bronze Member

Post by Guy »

Update - I purchased a Sandisk 256GB Micro SDXC card which came with an Adapter for full size SD card slots.

I copied all my music files on to it preserving the hierarchic folder structure of Genre->Artist->Album. In all there were 24901 mp3 files (mostly high variable bit rate) using ~ 192 GB space.

I then safely removed the existing 128GB SD card and 64 GB USB stick (important according to the manual) and inserted the 256GB card in the SD slot in the glove compartment.

Immediately the Composition Media unit started playing the first track in the first folder and within a couple of minutes or so it had fully populated the Database View (although I normally use the Folder View).

I've had the odd comment along the lines of I'll never play it all but to me that is not the point. Being able to choose from any of my music is worthwhile to me and having it all on a single physical medium is preferable to my previous arrangement.

Thanks again to rbz5416 - your post gave me the confidence to try a micro SDXC card in an adapter.
rbz5416
Getting There!

Post by rbz5416 »

Glad it worked. I have my collection split evenly between the 128GB micro SD & a low profile 128GB USB, all 320k versions of my home FLAC library. You can never have too much music.

Just a shame the player doesn't support replay gain as I often like to shuffle-play at home. But too much of a ball-ache constantly adjusting the volume in the car.
rbz5416
Getting There!

Post by rbz5416 »

Guy wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:27 pm Update - I purchased a Sandisk 256GB Micro SDXC card which came with an Adapter for full size SD card slots.
Just tried updating my SD card to 256GB but it won't read. Just curious what month 2015 Polo you had?, as I seem to recall they changed the player just after mine was manufactured (May).
Proteus
New
Drives: 1.4 TSI Blue GT 150

Post by Proteus »

I also have the same problem with the 256GB card, so I think it may be the problem year for the media unit where they aren't 'complete'. Really annoying.
rbz5416
Getting There!

Post by rbz5416 »

Proteus wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:07 am I also have the same problem with the 256GB card, so I think it may be the problem year for the media unit where they aren't 'complete'. Really annoying.
If it helps, I found that the 256GB card will read in a USB adapter. Not much use to me as mine is prone to forgetting where it was playing from previously on USB & restarts from the first folder. :roll:
Guy
Bronze Member

Post by Guy »

Apologies for the very belated reply!

I found after a long period of successful operation that the 256 GB micro SD card was not reading reliably in its adapter in the full size SD socket.

So I switched to using the card in a stubby USB adapter which has proved much more reliable.

I had always found that occasionally the Composition Media unit would revert to playing first track, first album and that is still the case.

My car was registered at the end of May 2015.
rbz5416
Getting There!

Post by rbz5416 »

I'd given up on memory cards in the car in favour of simply BT from my phone. Much more reliable with only the loss of artwork. But of course all phone manufacturers have now conspired to remove micro SD support from their devices so back to square one!