Wingmirror parts

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Suziehock
New
Drives: 2010

Wingmirror parts

Post by Suziehock »

Please help, I don't want to replace the whole wingmirror, but I don't know the name of the part I need?
The wingmirror got knocked and now moves freely, but is not hanging off, I believe it's the plastic part that has the wires feeding through it, and the spring around it, but what is it called ??
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Re: Wingmirror parts

Post by Ricmondo »

Just to clarify I assume you are talking about a door mirror rather than a wing mirror, I’m not trying to be a smart arse as there are still a few export markets that require a wing mirror.
Suziehock
New

Post by Suziehock »

yes the door mirrors, I thought they were called wingmirrors, my bad. :oops:
fleagal
New
Drives: Polo GTi 2015 6C

Post by fleagal »

We all call them wing mirrors as they used to be mounted on the wing and the name stuck. 'Door mirrors' obviously makes more sense but old habits die hard...
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Ricmondo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:19 pm Just to clarify I assume you are talking about a door mirror rather than a wing mirror, I’m not trying to be a smart arse as there are still a few export markets that require a wing mirror.
fleagal wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:52 am We all call them wing mirrors as they used to be mounted on the wing and the name stuck. 'Door mirrors' obviously makes more sense but old habits die hard...
I can remember the old style wing (mounted) mirrors on cars that my father owned in the 1960’s and 1970’s, before manufacturers started fitting door mounted exterior rear view mirrors (I’ve always referred to them as door mirrors 😀). Interestingly, a Google search of ‘wing mirrors’ shows images of mainly door mirrors!

Apologies @Suziehock for derailing your discussion thread - back on topic; you may find it easier to replace the whole mirror assembly - there are usually a good selection of used ones for sale on the internet. As far as I know, there are three versions;

- manual adjustment / electrically heated glass
- electric adjustment / electrically heated glass
- electrically folding / electric adjustment / electrically heated glass

If you get the correct one for your model of Polo, then I’m assuming it should be a straightforward job of removing the damaged item, refitting the new one and connecting up the electrics. Hopefully those forum members who are more technically minded than me can confirm this is the case.

Here’s a video showing how to remove the mirror assembly;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h698EQGfX0U

And here’s a set of guidelines that go through each step. If you click on the ‘next page’ and ‘previous page’ buttons, you should find the guidelines for your specific type of mirror assembly - or scroll down the menu list on the left hand side of the page and select the appropriate item.

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen ... /removing/

There’s also instructions for removing the interior door card within the workshop manual, which is necessary to remove the inside trim panel of the mirror assembly so you can remove the fixing screws;

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen ... r_models)/
Suziehock
New

Post by Suziehock »

Thank you for the heads up on replacement types. I'm going to nip down to a garage and hope they take pity on my female no idea status and tell me the specific part.

Thanks though.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Clearly not all of us Fleagal!

Best of luck Suzie I hope you can sort it without too much cost, it can be so frustrating when all you need is one part and they only sell the whole thing at great cost. You used to be able to pop into your local breakers yard and pick that sort of thing for very little, those days have long gone sadly.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

"I'm going to nip down to a garage and hope they take pity on my female no idea status and tell me the specific part".

Unless it's a proper VW garage and dealership, they'll not have the first clue, I'd wager. Faced with your particular problem, I'd look on the nemiga, erwin or ifinterface sites, homing in on the particular door mirror for your very model of VW vehicle:

https://ifinterface.com/prog
https://erwin.volkswagen.de
https://nemiga.com/cat_spares/etka

Certainly, two of these sites are free to use, though with some restrictions. But with the nemiga site you should be able to find an engineering drawing showing all parts of your door mirror, together with the VW part nos. This would at least tell you whether that particular part of the mirror is likely to be separately purchaseable from VW (or maybe from some other alternative approved supplier) and, if so, you could then just go along to any nearby VW dealership and order the part. And, as has already been said, there may well be forum members here with PDF copies of the official workshop manual for your model of VW who could then advise as to how to disassemble the mirror apart in order to fit the replacement part. It may well be more difficult than you imagine.

Incidentally, unless I've somehow missed it, you don't state anywhere which model of VW all of this applies to. To track down a specific part no., the vehicle model and year would be needed, and possibly also the vehicle's VIN no. Certainly, these days if you go along to a VW dealership's parts dept and ask for a specific part no. they'll most likely ignore any no. you might already have found and will instead themselves find it on their system using the vehicle's VIN no. Once found, however, and showing on their parts screen, you'll be able to see the sort of drawing referred to above and be able to check that your own part no. tallys with VW's.

This may all seem to be a lot of work, but even if you only peruse the nemiga site and find the drawing for the mirror, and its approx cost in euros, at least you'll have some idea as to whether it'll be worthwhile then just going along to a VW dealership parts dept. Other than this, I'd say your only other possibilities are a scrapyard find or eBay.

Hope this is of some help.