Polo 6c wiper clicking sound

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Segadora
New
Drives: &C

Polo 6c wiper clicking sound

Post by Segadora »

When the wipers are activated, there is a clicking sound. Does anyone else also have this problem? VW says its normal, but it cant be....

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=SUA08ekH-CE[/youtube]
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Re: Polo 6c wiper clicking sound

Post by joe6 »

Sounds as though the wiper blades are 'sticking' at each end of travel often caused by greasy road grime or polish. Suggest you try cleaning the windscreen with neat screenwash fluid or something similar as a first attempt at sorting it. May need new wipers?
Segadora
New

Post by Segadora »

joe6 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:56 am Sounds as though the wiper blades are 'sticking' at each end of travel often caused by greasy road grime or polish. Suggest you try cleaning the windscreen with neat screenwash fluid or something similar as a first attempt at sorting it. May need new wipers?
It is new wipers. The sound you are hearing are more like an electronic relay clicking sound
CarbonChaos
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 6C GTI DSG Oryx white 3 door.

Post by CarbonChaos »

You are correct the ‘clicking ‘ is indeed a relay switching off to stop the wipers, normal ?
Segadora
New

Post by Segadora »

CarbonChaos wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:03 pm You are correct the ‘clicking ‘ is indeed a relay switching off to stop the wipers, normal ?
Yes, is this working as designed or can it be fixed? If so, how to fix it.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Just one thing:- are the wiper arms correctly alignment on their operating spindles?

To me, it sounds like on the downward sweep towards the parking position, the wipers are reaching the end of the "eccentric" travel, then changing direction to end up at the park position and then stopping, and that is what is making an extra unnecessary sound/noise.

For what it is worth, when my wife bought her 2015 Polo new, as soon as I had driven it home while it was raining, I could see that the wiper arms had not been fitted in exactly the correct position, so I corrected the position of both arms, in her case, both arms parked too high up the screen - in your case maybe one or both are parking too low, or the eccentric part is not mounted on the motor shaft in exactly the best position. I have never ever had this issue on any other new car in the past.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Here's my penniworth.

It wasn't very long after I first took delivery of my Polo 6C 1.2 in 2017 that I noticed the w/wipers at the front were quite noisy - actual squeaking, rubbing wiper noise, as well an irritating whine from the wiper motor. Over several weeks I investigated all aspects.

I managed to get at and grease the joints of the pantographic arms that are in the plenum chamber, below the windscreen, along with the wiper motor. However, I couldn't get any access to the motor's output gearwheel, where the grease would most likely reduce the greater part of the whine. (It's my view that, compared to years ago, car manufacturers use quite puny wiper motors these days). I did, however, check the motor's mountings as best as I could, since if any one of these was loose it'd cause instability, and probably noise, of the wiper action.

I spent, on and off, several days rubbing in vinegar-based and also alcohol-based cleaners on to the glass, removing any invisible traces of car polish there that the dealership may have knowingly or unknowingly applied to the glass; car wax polish and the combined wash-and-polish products used so often these days by car dealers and inexperienced owners are notorious for causing subsequential bad wiper operation, so this is always worth doing. I also drained out as much of the VW wiper wash fluid as possible, replacing it with a known high-quality one that I've used for decades (Comma All Seasons Screenwash, which you can buy online).

I also gave the VW wiper blades themselves a good vinegar/glass treatment. I did also try some Michelin replacement wipers for these but had adaptor issues and had to return them to the seller. I considered buying and fitting the so-called Bosch equivalents, but if my memory serves me well enough, there was an issue there too, spotted before buying. So, I stayed with the VW blades in place.

I got a bit of a shock the first time I had the wipers on at max speed (rainstorm conditions), as the nearside wiper was overthowing at its max position and therefore the wiper blade was passing on to the plenum area below the glass. This was not happening at slower speeds. This had to be fixed ASAP, so with appropriate tool I removed both wipers from their spindles and accurately repositioned them. This took a lot of 'suck it and see'. The trick there was to allow for a degree of overthrow, and so reposition slightly further up the windscreen than you'd imagine; then, when at max wiper speed it doesn't hit the plenum area.

These various 'treatments' had their desired effects. After some weeks of subsequent usage, the whine reduced to virtually none, and the blade noise vanished completely; wiping action has been excellent ever since. As appropriate as these remedies were, I think the blades themselves, ie. the all-rubber VW blades, require a period of bedding in for optimum performance.
Segadora
New

Post by Segadora »

The sound is coming from the cabin. I suspect it to be with the stalk.