XXR 527

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Smiffey_56
New
Drives: Mk5 (pre facelift) 6r

XXR 527

Post by Smiffey_56 »

I’ve got a 2013 1.2 match polo 6r. I am wanting to get some XXR 527’s for my car and was wondering about any known fitment issues.
5x100 pcd obvs and wanted 17”
not too sure about width with either 8.25 or 9.25 and also whether et 25 or et 35 would fit or if in would need spacers possibly?

thanks in advance
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: XXR 527

Post by SRGTD »

I think you may have rubbing issues.

The standard wheel tyre set up on the Polo Match is 15” Castille alloys which are a 6j x 15” ET40 wheel with 185/60 R15 tyres. With both versions of the XXR 527 alloys you’re considering being 8.25j wheels, ET35 and ET25 are aggressive offsets - ET25 is extremely aggressive. Moving up to an 8.25j x 17” alloy, you’d probably need 225/40 R17/tyres to minimise any difference in overall rolling radius compared to your current wheel/tyre set up.

Using the wheel / tyre calculator on www.willtheyfit.com website, the difference between your current set up and your preferred set up is;

With the 8.25j x 17” ET35 version of the XXR 527’s;
  • Inner face of the wheel will be 23.6mm closer to the suspension strut.
  • The outer (visible) front face of the wheel will poke out an extra 33.6mm, so I’d say you may well have rubbing issues and there’s a fair chance the tyres and possibly the wheel’s face will extend beyond the bodywork (which I think is illegal) - or be close to extending beyond the bodywork. Either way, you’re very likely to experience rubbing issues when the car’s fully laden, when cornering, and driving over speed bumps or on poor road surfaces when the suspension will be working harder.
With the 8.25j x 17” ET25 version;
  • Inner face of the wheel will be 13.6mm closer to the suspension strut.
  • The outer (visible) front face of the wheel will poke out an extra 43.6mm compared to your current wheels, so I’d say you’ll almost certainly have rubbing issues with such an aggressive offset, and with the face of the wheel and tyre sidewall extending out even further than with the ET35 version of these wheels.
9.25j wheels will give you even more potential issues, that’s if they’d actually fit at all. If you were to fit spacers, you’d be pushing the face of the wheels out even further.

Other manufacturers make wheels that are similar in design to the XXR 527’ that aren’t as wide and / or they have a less aggressive offset. In your position, I’d be looking at similar alternatives that are closer to the BlueGT or GTI alloys in terms of width and offset (Blue GT; 7j x 17” ET46, GTI; 7.5j x 17” ET44 - both with 215/40 R17 tyres). That way, you’re unlikely to have any rubbing or clearance issues.

Be aware that fitting different alloys to your car is considered to be a modification for insurance purposes, so don’t forget to inform your insurer.
Smiffey_56
New
Drives: Mk5 (pre facelift) 6r

Re: XXR 527

Post by Smiffey_56 »

Thanks for the info
Already got 17” alloys on with a 215/40 tyre but can’t remember the width and offset. With these insurance already knows so won’t be an issue but thanks for the heads up!