VW Sat nav headunits

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

VW Sat nav headunits

Post by Aquavalver »

Can anyone give me a bit of info about VW Sat nav headunits?

I currently have an RCD510 headunit which socket for accessories in the glovebox and a multi-function steering wheel on my 2013 Blue GT. I have a 3 1/2 year old Tomtom Go5100 which directs you around traffic and works out shorter routes as the traffic changes. It also has liftime map updates, speed cameras and the traffic. However ouf of the blue it just won't power on. It fell from a chair onto the floor (but was inside the case) several months back and the on-off button stuck in on one side but it powered on and off when it was plugged into the car and worked fine until yesterday where it just seems dead. Maybe the battery has died?

Now, I'm not sure whether to try and get it repaired, get a 2nd hand one or a new one, but I am a bit loath to get a new one as I have been thinking of getting a VW headunit with sat nav built-in in the next year or so. Do the VW ones have traffic where it works out the best route around it? And would it update and work out a new one if the traffic changes? Do they have speed cameras where it also shows you your average speed in the average speed camera areas? Also do you get map updates and if so how would this be done? As obviously you can't update the headunit like you can with a Tomtom connected to a computer.

Lastly which ones/years would work with my 2013 Blue GT?

Many thanks for any help!
Last edited by Aquavalver on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: VW Sat nav headunits

Post by iichel »

You have a few options.

The RNS315 can have built in bluetooth. Must update maps via a VW SD card (rather expensive)
The RNS510 is the larger brother of the RNS315 but doesn't have bluetooth. Can update maps via DVD, either legal or slightly less legal.
They are somewhat sensitive to theft though, so be careful. They can both receive traffic updates via FM/DAB.

There is a new Discover Media for PQ platform cars. They won't work directly in you car, you'll have to have it modified in the slightly less legal way.
It's a lot faster than the RNS315/510 an has built in bluetooth and can have a USB port. If you have the right model, you'll have car play as well.
If you find the right person to help you with this, you can have voice control + navigation + carplay + DAB on one headunit. All not legal in the way VW intended.

The third option is a nice phone holder. I do most of my navigation on my Google smartphone + google maps, despite having a RNS510 in the car.
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Post by Aquavalver »

Am not quite so keen on using my phone as it will use data, what if it can't find a good internet signal? plus then it's also tricky if you have any phonecalls. Would prefer a unit with DAB as I have it now.

I have seen aftermarket units I think from China, but how well they work and how the sounds quality is, I don't know!

I forgot to mention what is the infotainment for? Will I need this also? I have seen some with 1 and 2 slots
Last edited by Aquavalver on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
exantas
Bronze Member
Drives: Skoda Fabia 5J 1.2 TSI

Post by exantas »

@iichel is there a specific version of BCM that is required with Discover Media for PQ?

Can the head unit have the functionality your described, with a BCM high for example?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

exantas wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:10 am @iichel is there a specific version of BCM that is required with Discover Media for PQ?

Can the head unit have the functionality your described, with a BCM high for example?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Knowing how hard it actually is to fit a different unit in a pq26 car I'd say you it's not worth the effort to fit into a pq25 car.
dmulv
New
Drives: Polo 6C

Post by dmulv »

Any idea where the VW head units get their traffic from (in terms of data provider)?

I wouldn't underestimate the quality of the TomTom traffic, which is generally regarded as the best. The best compromise might be to install the TomTom Go Mobile app on your phone and use CarPlay (if you can). You'll get decent traffic updates and most of the features of your TomTom device, along with minimal data costs as the maps are installed on your phone.