Is coolant covered under Das Welt Auto

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Ghostjet
New
Drives: 6c gti 2016

Is coolant covered under Das Welt Auto

Post by Ghostjet »

Could do with a top up of coolant, and my cars still under the used warranty.

Is this something Vw can do instead of buying some and doing it myself?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Is coolant covered under Das Welt Auto

Post by SRGTD »

VW’s Das Welt Auto Warranty covers electrical and mechanical failure of components covered under the warranty. It does not cover routine topping up of fluids (I doubt any warranty would), in the same way that topping up fluids isn’t covered under the 3 year factory warranty that applies for the first three years from date of first registration of the car.

If you’re having to top up coolant, that suggests you could possibly have a coolant leak; in your position, I’d be monitoring the coolant level and if it drops again after topping up, I’d be looking to find the cause of any potential leak. Be aware that if you do have a leak, if the cause is a faulty / split coolant hose or pipe, then that also won’t be covered under the Das Welt Auto warranty as there’s a specific exclusion of coolant pipes and hoses (page 12 in the Warranty booklet).

Also, when topping up, be sure to use the correct type of coolant.

Link to the Das Welt Auto warranty booklet below;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/idhub/cont ... ooklet.pdf
Ghostjet
New
Drives: 6c gti 2016

Post by Ghostjet »

Thanks thought that would be the case and yeah I’ll be keeping a close eye on it.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

thermostat housings are prone to leak on these cars, vw are well aware of it even though they may claim it's not an issue
spartacus68
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI (90PS) Blue motion

Post by spartacus68 »

Should be G13 coolant. Top up at cold to the seam on the expansion tank.
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

Dink wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:22 pm thermostat housings are prone to leak on these cars, vw are well aware of it even though they may claim it's not an issue
The thermostat housing started leaking on my car just prior to the end of the 3 year warranty from new. The VW technician I spoke to did confirm that this is just about the only common relatively common fault on the 6c GTI (apart from the diamond cut allot wheels). Mine was fixed under warranty so it should be covered by Das Auto. Not sure if the replacement thermostat housing has been revised or will still be liable to a high failure rate.