Help! Drivers seatbelt wont pull out

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
murraymint
New
Drives: 6r 1.2

Help! Drivers seatbelt wont pull out

Post by murraymint »

Help. I have a 2015 5 door polo. The drivers seat belt wont extend. It moves about an inch then the clicks, like the inertia wheel is stuck. If you sit and keep pulling slowly, back and forth you can eventually you can get it out (my wife does this but I dont have a patients)

Is there a cheap fix before I have to spend £££ on a new one.

Thanks
Josh
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Help! Drivers seatbelt wont pull out

Post by iichel »

You should replace it
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Non serviceable item.

A new one is a lot cheaper than your life or plastic surgery to restore your good looks.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Ricmondo wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:29 pm Non serviceable item.

A new one is a lot cheaper than your life or plastic surgery to restore your good looks.
Agree, and it’s important that the existing problem seat belt is replaced with a brand new one, not a second hand one, as the history of a used seatbelt won’t be known - e.g. it could have been subjected to excessive forces and strain in an accident.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Just a though, only a very outside chance:- does it do this when parked on level ground, if so you really do need a new belt assembly, if it only does it when you are parked on a steep slope, probably the belt is okay.
murraymint
New
Drives: 6r 1.2

Post by murraymint »

I would replace with a new one, not used. I should add that sometimes it works fine. Just wanted to see if this was a common thing to happen with this gen vw's? My first thought was that it was due to parking on hills. But it now does it on my drive which is level.
rivatt
New
Drives: 6C polo 1.2 TSI

Post by rivatt »

Have you looked at the reel itself to make sure that it has not got out of level? It might have come slightly loose and the continual pulling caused it to move further, could be a simple and cheap fix if so.
Hope it is this and let us know.
Tigger12
New
Drives: 2015 1.2 TSI

Post by Tigger12 »

Ours started doing this last year but only when the sun was out and the interior got warm, has recently been doing it when cold too. Contacted the dealer who want £70 to look at it so contacted VW and they said the money would be refunded if it was a warrenty fault, as the car was out of warrenty this doesn't help. Thinking of reporting the fault to VOSA as the seatbelt is a safety device and shouldn't play up within 26k miles.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Lazy retraction used to be a VW Group front seatbelt trait, they seems to use "not quite good enough" seat belt suppliers I'd think (money issue) - or maybe their technical people are failing to design suitable mounting points for all the elements of front seat belts - they did also go through a bad patch with rear seat belt fitting points recently!!

This is all a good way to lose customers and drop down the "preferred manufacturer" listings.
Tigger12
New
Drives: 2015 1.2 TSI

Post by Tigger12 »

Reported the fault to VOSA who wanted an engineers report, so bit the bullet and booked it into VW to diagnose. Dropped the car off and spoke to the greeter who thought it best I have a word with the senior technician, went through everything and showed him a video of the problem but he was still going down the out of warrenty route. He then went to get a price for a replacement seatbelt but returned 10 minutes later to say that VW have agreed to replace the seatbelt unit and cover the labour costs. To say we're very happy is an understatement :D
Damon
New
Drives: 2010 Polo Moda 64

Post by Damon »

Did anyone find the cause for this?
I had this issue last summer, and recently again a few weeks back when we had hotter than usual weather.
Seems to be when temperature is above 20c or so.

Only happens when its hot never have any issues otherwise.