BlueGT Fuel Consumption

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
hrstaines
New
Drives: VW Polo BlueGT Black 5dr (66 reg)

BlueGT Fuel Consumption

Post by hrstaines »

Hi All,

I bought my manual BlueGT (66 reg) in January so been driving it for a couple of months now. I picked the BlueGT over the GTI simply because of fuel consumption as I cover a lot of miles. I did a 600 mile round trip to London at end of Feb with pretty much a full car and I didn't get much more than 47mpg (was doing no more than 70 the whole way) - I didn't think this was too bad.

I'm also a part-time food delivery driver and when I'm doing short journeys (only me in the car) I struggle to get it past 40mpg. Is this normal?
The motorway journeys aren't really an issue as I have got it over 50mpg when just myself but short journeys this really seems low.

Anyone else experience this poor economy for short journeys? The reviews say 60mpg?!!
How do everyone elses BlueGT's go for economy?

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: BlueGT Fuel Consumption

Post by SRGTD »

Bear in mind that the official fuel consumption figures for the 6c Polo will have been produced under laboratory conditions, so they don’t reflect real life driving conditions, and I doubt anyone will achieve the official figures in normal everyday driving.

The official urban mpg figure for the 1.4 150ps Blue GT Is 47.1 (manual) / 48.7 (DSG), so if you’re getting close to 40 mpg while doing food deliveries then I’d say that’s pretty good. Bear in mind you’re probably covering short distances in built up areas and engine may not up to the optimum operating temperature on many of your food delivery journeys - so not the ideal driving conditions to achieve maximum mpg.

I’ve never achieved the overall ‘combined’ official mpg figure for my Polo GTI, which is 47.1(6 speed manual). My long term average is currently showing just over 41 mpg, and my car’s fuel computer tends to be slightly optimistic, so the actual mpg is probably a shade under 40 mpg.

I’d say don’t get too hung up on your fuel consumption - enjoy driving your car. What you’re getting fuel consumption-wise is IMO OK.
Last edited by SRGTD on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ReVo
New
Drives: Polo 1.2 TSI 2016

Post by ReVo »

I frequently get around 55-60mpg with my 1.2 TSI doing 70mph on the motorway. Don't know if I trust what the car is telling me...
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

Agree with everything SRGTD has said, but the figures you mention for motorway driving seem low. I've not got a Blue GT, but my 6c manual GTI returns mid 40s on a long motorway journey if I keep it below 70 (This rises to around 50 mpg at a steady 60 mph if I don't fall asleep :D) I would have thought a 1.4 with cylinder deactivation would do better. Has the car been regularly serviced?
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

Checked the consumption on my BlueGt only yesterday (from a fill to a refill) - it was 38.8 MPG. That is just with short journeys and a couple of 'give it the beans' ;)
Dirty diesel
New

Post by Dirty diesel »

I had a 2013 BlueGT manual and I achieved the same figures as yourself.

400 mile round trip on the M1 at 70mph, also to London, returned 47 mpg. Commuting 20 miles a day, mix of A-roads and motorway, normally returned 42 mpg. The above figures were calculated after filling up, not as reported by the on-board computer.

So I'd say your car was OK. I wouldn't believe the 60 mpg official figure :roll: