6C or 6R..I'm not sure

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Gandalfthrgrey
New
Drives: 2014 1.2 TSI blue motion.

Re: 6C or 6R..I'm not sure

Post by Gandalfthrgrey »

Almost twice the price on ebay though, I was looking on aliexpress... No returning stuff there!! I'm sure I'll sort something out... My only dread is if I have to gain access thru the glove box, that looks dodgy!!
Cheers
Tex
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 6C 1.2 TSI DSG

Post by Tex »

Hi, I forgot you have the compossition media, not sure if it will work, with the compoition colour it hould work as the access pannel is mounded on the screen, i will have a look for you regarding the connectors, what is your budget for a RCD 330?
Gandalfthrgrey
New

Post by Gandalfthrgrey »

Hi tex.. Cheers, I was sort of giving up hope of installing this, but if you think it's do able that'd be brilliant, my budget is around €140 or GBP 125..they average that shirt of price on aliexpress... I believe an Mbq version is required for the 6C with an adapter...
Cheers..
Jim
Gandalfthrgrey
New

Post by Gandalfthrgrey »

Do you guys know of anyone on the forum who has done this successfully? Looking at the installs for thie 6R it looks so easy, just seems to be a simple pop out the old and put in the new rcd330...!
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

I don't know of anyone that has put an RCD330 into a 6c.

The electrics in a 6c are very different to the 6r.

I looked into it an decided to try the route of just changing the headunit in the glovebox to a unit that can have the app connect activated in theory.
Gandalfthrgrey
New

Post by Gandalfthrgrey »

Cheers dink.. How did that work out, and was it easy/expensive?
Tex
Getting There!

Post by Tex »

Hi,

So i had a look for you, Firtly, a headunit from the glove box will be quite expenive and you will have to have CP removed in order to use it.

second i had a look at the RCD 330s, they will work, but with a MQB to PQ adapter as you said, however, they say it will only work for the composition colour, i had a look at the composition colour connector and your connector, they are very similar, so it could work, now the tricky part , you might loose steering wheel control, and you might have to instal repair wires to extend the wiring modlue from the glove box to the front dash where the screen is.

So it is possible, not sure if it will work on your car, but i sees ome 6Cs with it, but thats upgrading from the 5" composiotion colour.
Gandalfthrgrey
New

Post by Gandalfthrgrey »

Think mine is an original 6.5" screen?
Attachments
IMG_20200531_111326.jpg
Tex
Getting There!

Post by Tex »

Yes its the 6.5

Have a look at the RCD 360, i think it will work for your setup, 200EUR from Ebay with possibility of return and includes MQB plug.

Im actualling looking at ordering one this month.

Maybe the eller can do a deal for 2 units.
Gandalfthrgrey
New

Post by Gandalfthrgrey »

Hi tex.. Sounds good, let me have a gander and see what comes up... 👍
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

Tex wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:36 pm Hi,

So i had a look for you, Firtly, a headunit from the glove box will be quite expenive and you will have to have CP removed in order to use it.

second i had a look at the RCD 330s, they will work, but with a MQB to PQ adapter as you said, however, they say it will only work for the composition colour, i had a look at the composition colour connector and your connector, they are very similar, so it could work, now the tricky part , you might loose steering wheel control, and you might have to instal repair wires to extend the wiring modlue from the glove box to the front dash where the screen is.

So it is possible, not sure if it will work on your car, but i sees ome 6Cs with it, but thats upgrading from the 5" composiotion colour.
the unit cost me £40 off ebay and a local company charged £60 to remove CP then £80 for vw to get it all back up and running.

So that is cheaper than a dodgy RCD unit and retains factory functions and look
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Hey guys, can we please set some things straight?

The car in question is an early 2014 Polo 6C, meaning it's the MQB platform car (2014-2018)
The radio in question in the car is a composition media.
Everyone ok with these statements?

The radio recommended is an RCD330/RCD360. These radios are not compatible with the MQB platform.
They are intended for the Polo 6R (2009-2014).

I don't think it's going to work together, to be honest.
Gandalfthrgrey
New

Post by Gandalfthrgrey »

Hi guys..
An update on the radio :
Went ahead and bought an aftermarket radio from aliexpress (see pic) I disconnected everthing from the glove box head unit and connected to the new radio, everything works fine, only thing is the quadlock and fakra cables are too short to reach the dashboard location for the radio, so I've ordered extension cables for both, in the meantime I've connected everthing back up to the head unit but I'm left with a constant passenger air bag warning light on, thought I might have cleared it with an ODB 2 scanner but it's still there, other than go back to the garage to have it cleared its there any other way to clear it?
Attachments
Screenshot_20200620_131102_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

did you accidentally disconnect the passenger airbag switch in the glove box?
Gandalfthrgrey
New

Post by Gandalfthrgrey »

Disconnected it completely to remove the glove box to allow access to the head unit and connect the new radio to the quadlock.. 🙄