6C GTi brake problems

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Graham1701
New
Drives: GTi

6C GTi brake problems

Post by Graham1701 »

Hi there,
My first post so be gentle please🙂. I have just replaced discs and pads all round on my 2016 GTi. It has the larger 310/312mm discs at the front. I'm having an issue with the front nearside caliper sticking on after a brake application. This brakes on this side also squeek with light brake application. I have tried a different set of pads and although slightly improved, still no joy. The sliders are all free and the pads move in the carrier freely. This problem has only started since fitting the new brakes. I am at the head scratching phase as to what can be wrong.
Does anyone know if there is a caliper repair kit available? Taking the caliper apart is the next step..... Thank you for your attention.

Kind regards,
Graham
Pierlu
Getting There!
Drives: Polo MY2015 1.2 TSI

Re: 6C GTi brake problems

Post by Pierlu »

The only one compatible kit is the original. I've disassembled mine and other kits wouldn't fit, once got the vw one all went perfect.

If the rubber dust cover is ok you can avoid to change it -because could be a bit tricky put in the new one- and change only the rubber ring inside the caliper
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

have you had the brake fluid changed? (3 years is the first change iirc)

the rears normally bind up first.

I think i'd try new flexi hose before going down the route of a caliper rebuild (bigg red will probably be able to supply a rebuild kit if required)
Graham1701
New

Post by Graham1701 »

Thank you for your replies. I had the brake fluid changed when the car was serviced about six months ago. I am going to see if things improve as the pads bed in because the most annoying part is the squeak at the moment. The caliper doesn't actually bind that much. I just find it difficult to believe that the caliper has gone bad in only four years and/or the brake flexi. The car isn't left standing for long periods, I use it everyday more or less.

If I need a repair kit bigg red you say? Who is that? Thank you.

Kind regards,
Graham
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

i don't think it takes much to damage a flexi while changing the discs and pads. The bore of the pipe is tiny

bigg red
TrebleTA
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 GTI (6r)

Post by TrebleTA »

On changing the breaks did you clamp of the pipe then crack the bleed nipple to push the clipper back, as be live this is the normal on most new cars now it's how the breaking system has changed like breaking assist etc.
After changing the disc/pads I would of then used a pressure bleeder to bleed, just to make sure no air. It sound like the caliper is sticking and could be just a bleed.

U can just clamp off, then remove the caliper and check it has free movement no play or scores on it. I would not recommend a kit. They never last I would get a new caliper.

First off I would get the breaks pressure bleed if it don't fix then change the caliper.
Hope this helps

One last question if ya driving and then breaked hard is it pulling now?
Graham1701
New

Post by Graham1701 »

I removed the top from the brake fluid reservoir and pushed the caliper pistons home. I did not clamp any pipes or crack any of the bleed nipples. I had to remove some fluid from the reservoir as I pushed the pistons back because when I had the fluid replaced last year it was before the brakes had any attention so the reservoir was quite full.
It only seems to start pulling if I brake hard a few times and the nearside must get hotter than the offside and starts pulling a little. Thanks.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I've never ever clamped brake flexi pipes, that too comes with some risk of damaging the hoses, I've always gently/slowly pressed the pistons back into the callipers, there must be a return path for the fluid at all times, so why not press the pistons back in slowly, okay if you never replace the fluid there could be lots of curd sitting in the callipers and pushing that back up the lines is not a good idea, but who is dumb enough not to replace their brake fluid at the advised periods, so no or small risk of any curd sitting inside the callipers.

Always,always, always check to make sure that the new pads can fit anywhere along their normal range of positions in the calliper when servicing or just replacing pads, and use a small amount of the correct brake grease at all pad>calliper/carrier contact points - after properly cleaning up the calliper bodies and carriers.
TrebleTA
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 GTI (6r)

Post by TrebleTA »

You can get a 1man pressure bleed kit, or give vw some penny's for them to do I would recommend Vw saves mess after all it is break fluid. If that don't work, u can get someone else to have a check or just change the caliper if you think it's that.
When I had 1 sticking my alloy wheel would get hot. Yet other wheels cold, also can be harder to push the piston back, or get the piston moving. For a example.
The way u done the breaks pushing the piston back is ok, and saves bleeding but you can get problems. Like a softer peddle, fliping the mastercylinder rubbers, pulling etc. Better to clamp the pipe, crack the nipple and then push piston back but means your need to bleed.

P.s clamping a pipe should not damage it, unless you over do the clamp or it's a old pipe. normally it's the caliper fulling offthe hanger or support.
When u do a break course clamping is key
Good luck