Where does the wire go for rear dash cam?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
slicendice
New
Drives: Black GTi 2016 (6c)

Where does the wire go for rear dash cam?

Post by slicendice »

I've managed to get the front dashcam installed on my gf's 65 plate GTi (6C) and now in the process of trying to get the rear one installed. And I'm looking at it and thinking...how the heck's this going to work?!

If the rear cam is installed at the top of the rear windscreen, then it's not too far from the rear edge of the roof trim above the rear windscreen when the boot is closed (approx 8-10cm). However, if the cable is routed to there, then when the boot is opened, it creates quite a sizeable gap between the cam and where the cable would exit from the trim (approx 28-30cm). This would necessitate a big loop of cable that would be needed to bridge the gap when the boot was opened - and this extra cable would be clearly visible when the boot was closed.

I've tried to show this in pic form in case my ramblings are unclear:

I was wondering if the cable could be threaded into the boot itself somehow (so that the point it exited the bodywork/trim was actually on the boot lid itself), but it looks like it's all metal and even if I managed to get it threaded in, there's no way for it to come out in order to attach it to the cam.

For those who have mounted a rear cam in their Polo, where did you route the cable? Do you have to put up with a big loop of cable while the boot is closed?
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Where does the wire go for rear dash cam?

Post by amer6R »

On the left side you have a rubber booth, forget one clip and fish it thru there
slicendice
New

Post by slicendice »

D'you mean the rubber tubing here:

If that's what you mean, I can see where the cable would go into it...but where could it come out? Presumably that tube carries the wires for the heated rear windscreen (which attach to it internally)? I can't see where the wire would come out in order to attach to the cam? Or would you have to bodge a hole in the end of the tube that's attached to the boot lid and then run the wire along the metal of the boot to the camera and hold it in place with sticky cable ties?

(Sorry if I'm being dense...it wouldn't be the first time! :mrgreen: )
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

It carries wires for third brake light and i think a tube for windshield washer fluid.

I wouldnt damage the boot cause it might cause water leaking into the car. I would fish the wire thru the round metal hole that holds the plastic cover trim, then thru the rubber boot inside the cabin.

Just forget one of the clips that hold the plastic trim. It will be okay.
rear-dash-cam2~2.jpg
And just take power from the cable of the reverse light, and ground it.
wiring10.png
slicendice
New

Post by slicendice »

The trouble is, there is no plastic trim on the boot itself...it's all solid metal. So what look like trim clips, or screw covers, are actually just dimples in the metal:

So short of drilling holes in the metal (which ain't happening!), I'm not quite sure where to go...?
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Im sorry, it was mine mistake. Remove the trim below the glass, you know the plastic one. Then run the wire from there up, and folow the side of the glass and Bob is ur uncle. I think that wpuld look stealth enough.