First post, turbo noise

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
adampb94
New
Drives: 6c GT

First post, turbo noise

Post by adampb94 »

Hey team,
I recently bought a vw polo blue gt (1.4 tsi, dsg version)
Loving the car, nice and nippy and great on long econo runs.
Yesterday i did a soft launch, 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
After this while cruising around i have noticed more turbo noise in 4th gear and up under heavy load. the sound is less of a spooling noise and more of a whistle. Going to have a quick look see this afternoon around any vac hoses and connections i can find on the intake side. see if maybe i have cause a boost leak.
What else should i look out for and have a poke at?
oh, car is completely stock :twisted:

Thanks
Adam
TrebleTA
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 GTI (6r)

Re: First post, turbo noise

Post by TrebleTA »

On my mk4 golf there use to be a o ring rubber that use to ware every year, vw often changed em, on the pipe that went from the intercooler to the manifold, was a big rubber pipe with a metal end, it cost about £12 Was easy to fit guessing it could be the same thing.
adampb94
New
Drives: 6c GT

Post by adampb94 »

Intercooler to manifold, thats cold side right??

thanks for your reply! will look into that
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that both the 1.2TSI and that 1.4TSI share the same charge pipe and it is plastic, if that pipe is ever removed, you have to renew the rubber O-Ring seals at each end before fitting it back on, and lubricate the seals with clean engine oil.

I only found that out after I had removed and refitted that charge pipe to make swopping spark plugs a bit easier, and all that happened to that car was that there was a slight trace of oil starting to appear on the top of the Throttle Body.

What I did discover, a year after I replaced the spark plugs was, the turbo O/P end of that pipe was quite difficult to remove, and the reason for that was that there was a build up of corrosion on the alloy turbo O/P flange and that was stopping the pipe+O-Ring moving out over it. I cleaned that area up as best I could with green abrasive pad after plugging the turbo O/P with paper. This corrosion, which I had not noticed a year earlier when replacing the spark plugs, must be due to that turbo flange being turned upwards slightly and water entering the under bonnet space getting into that area which is "outside" the area that the O-Ring seats in.

Edit:- by the way, I don't think that it is an air leak that is causing your noises.
Bigmick1981
New
Drives: 1.2tsi se 2015

Post by Bigmick1981 »

Hey there did you get to the bottom of this ? My car also does this in all gears if you listen also in neutral like a whistle noise from 3k plus