Should I buy alloys from eBay?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
jackdanes
New
Drives: MK5 Polo GTI

Should I buy alloys from eBay?

Post by jackdanes »

I've recently bought a Polo GTI but it doesn't have the alloys I wanted. I bought it becuase it had great spec, good mileage and in my budget.

I've attached an image of the alloy I want. What are people's views on buying alloys off ebay? There's a couple of sellers who sell other alloys and have businesess. Would the quality be okay, considering they aren't original VW?

Thanks
Attachments
alloys.PNG
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Should I buy alloys from eBay?

Post by RUM4MO »

Like any thing else, buying via eBay can end up being good or bad, just depends on if you are willing to potentially save money and take a bit of a risk, most traders will be okay to deal with.

Buying aftermarket alloys, I'd always aim to buy OEM ones like Borbet etc etc, as they supply other alloys to VW Group, will have the correct centre bore diameter and stick with using the conical wheel bolts - though it is not impossible to buy spigot rings to get the centre bore correct and taper seat bolts, just a bit messing when you factor in maybe needing to use the supplied space saver spare wheel, less of an issue if you don't have a spare wheel.

That wheel shown in your posting has been fitted with VW wheel centre trims, that can be another issue if you are very fussy and end up wheels with a centre trim design different size/style to what VW Group use.

I've bought used VW Group wheels from eBay and had no issues with them, well maybe one ended up, in real life, looking like an alloy eating grizzly bear had chewed, so I had to buy a brand new 4th wheel! Buying sets of used genuine VW Group from eBay traders in Germany seemed to me to be a better idea as they tend to be a lot more honest than the average UK based eBay trader, but you pay your money and roll the dice.

Buying normal online via etraders might be a better bet, like Mytyres and many others that only sell wheels and or tyres.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

The wheels you posted are stock 6c GTI wheels so as long as they are genuine and are not bent then should be fine.

One word of caution though is that they are s**t lol they look nice for a couple of months then go to s**t. Diamond cutting can only be refurbished once iirc so you will either have to get non refurbished ones and get it done or get refurbished ones and hope they last.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

As @Dink has said, they look like the standard fit alloys from the 6c Polo GTI.

When considering buying used alloys, always ask the seller if they’ve had any structural repairs - e.g. if they’ve suffered any cracks or buckling from hitting a kerb at high speed or from pothole damage. I’d also be asking if they’ve been cosmetically refurbished - especially with diamond cut wheels as the diamond cut refurb process involves re-cutting the face of the wheel. If too much metal is removed, then the structural integrity of the wheel could be compromised.

Also ask to see a photo of the reverse of the wheel so you can see if they’re genuine OEM wheels. If they are, then details such as the size (7.5J x 17” ET44), part number (6C0601025K), VW logo and manufacturer’s name should be stamped into the reverse side of the spokes.

Also, if they’re in need of refurbishing, a high quality refurb job will cost in the region of £80-£90 +VAT per wheel, and some refurb places charge extra to remove and refit the tyres.
jackdanes
New
Drives: MK5 Polo GTI

Post by jackdanes »

Thanks for all the replies!

All of the 17" Parabolica alloys (found out the name) I showed before are labelled as 'GTI style', so none are genuine OEM.

I never knew that about diamon cut alloys, but makes a lot of sense! Attached are the current alloys (not my car), which I assume are also diamond cut, the front 2 were refurbed before I bought it.

I guess it is just a risk like you have all said, I'd most likely keep the originals just in case. Here are alloys I'm looking at

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Display-1 ... 1438.l2649

Thanks
Attachments
alloy-example.PNG
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

Definitely not genuine vw alloys as the offset of parabolica wheels is et44
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@jackdanes; Yes, the wheels on the White Polo in the picture are diamond cut. If they’re genuine VW OEM, they’re the optional Serron alloys that could be specced on the 6c GTI as a factory fit extra cost option. They were 7Jx17” with an offset of ET46.

In terms of VW OEM Serron v’s Parabolica; the Parabolica alloys are slightly wider with a slightly more aggressive offset than the Serrons. However, the design of the Parabolica alloys, with a second set of (black) spokes recessed back from the face of the wheel, they are a more intricate design, and so more difficult to clean, so something to consider if you’re into car detailing and / or regular car cleaning.