Wipers not behaving

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
CheshirePolo99
New
Drives: 2015 1l BlueMotion

Wipers not behaving

Post by CheshirePolo99 »

Hi everyone, first post and looking for some advice

My (until now) trustworthy 1 litre 2015 BlueMotion Polo (25,000 miles) has developed a problem with the wipers. I got in it yesterday and, even though the wiper stalk was off, as soon as the ignition went on, the wipers started going. I can move the stalk up and down to change the speed but the response is sluggish and never reaches 'top speed' and if I bring it back down to off, both the front and rear wipers continue on their merry way and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to stop it: I've tried cycling through the stalk a number of times (screenwash output is fine); left it overnight; I even tried taking out the fuse (I think it's the correct one) but there's no joy.

I first thought it was maybe the relay but I phoned Inchape and they said based on my description, it's probably the stalk and that I'd be looking at c.£200 and an overnight job for a replacement. My car knowledge and ability is woeful and so I'm resigned to booking it in and having someone else do the job for me... is this probably my best option (changing the engine oil is a stretch when it comes to my car skills!)? And do I need to take it to the dealer or will an independent (and cheaper) local garage do the job just fine?

Much obliged for any advice or help that can be given
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Wipers not behaving

Post by RUM4MO »

That fault does normally indicate that a new wiper control stalk assembly is needed.

Can you not find a local proper VW Group Indie garage, there are plenty of them around the country, and get this job and any other carried out there?

Edit:- the garage would need to remove the stalk to get its part number, then order in another, that will be why they want to keep it overnight.

Anyone clued up about VW cars could work out the correct part number without taking the car in overnight, if you order in the part it normally takes 2 days, VW Group garages get their spares in overnight, as should anyone that has an account with TPS which is where any VW Group Indie garage would get its VW Group specific parts.
marco_polo
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6C 2016

Re: Wipers not behaving

Post by marco_polo »

I agree does sound like you may need a new one, it’s worth trying some contact cleaner if you are able to spray it inside. You are able to buy these cheap enough but can be tricky to do as you need to remove the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk