Blue GT uncomfortable seats

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
edward918
New
Drives: 6C BlueGT

Blue GT uncomfortable seats

Post by edward918 »

Does anyone else have trouble getting comfortable in the seats? No matter how much I raise or lower the 'sports seats', I always end up slouching. Thinking of sadly trading in the car at some point next year if I can't fix the issue with some sort of cushion.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Blue GT uncomfortable seats

Post by SRGTD »

I didn’t have a Blue GT but I did have a 6c Polo GTI with sports seats. I went from a mk6 Golf GTD - also with sports seats - to the Polo GTI. The seats in the Golf were excellent and initially, the seats in the Polo didn’t feel as good as the Golf’s and it did take me a week or two to find a seating position I found comfortable. However, once I did, I found the seats in the Polo to be fine. I owned my Polo GTI for just over 4.5 years and never felt discomfort when driving it - and I have a long standing back issue too.

Lots of factors to consider when searching for that comfortable seating position in addition to seat height; e.g. the angle of the seat backrest, how far forward or back the seat is on its runners - you should be able to depress the foot pedals fully without moving around in the seat, headrest at the correct height, the position of the steering wheel and where you position your hands on the wheel, height adjustment of the seat belt.

If you’ve not already done so, it might be worth doing an internet search as there’s lots of information and guidance online about finding the perfect driving position which might help.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

U cant expect to much from slim padding. If you ask me, not really the best for long rides.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I’m really happy with the seats in my BGT finding them amongst the best I’ve encountered in any car.

My body has a lot of natural padding after years of over indulgence, perhaps that is a factor.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

edward918 et al,

Google 'PhysioMed correct sitting posture driving' and you should find a very well-written 14-page article on the subject that you can download if you wish and print out to keep as a reference document.

Opinions of Polo seats vary considerably, and it's not just the GT model that's at fault. If anything, I'd say the GT's seats are most likely better than on the lower-spec'd Polos. But for anyone with back or hip problems the design of the seat can be critical. I recall the first time I drove on the M25 for some considerable miles when I first got my Polo 1.2 Match. The ribbing in the seat squab dug right into my coccyx and by the time I got home I was literally screaming with pain, not just in my lower spine but also in my legs. I was then bedridden for a couple of days.

Whilst some of the Polo seats have stout side-bolsters that stop you moving around too much all the time, too little attention has been given by the VW designers to the actual seat squab, the part you actually sit on. Ribbing, consisting of either steel or nylon rods, is incorporated across the squab, under the meagre padding, and one of these rods is positioned right under the driver's coccyx (the tailbone of the spine). Couple that with the inadequate padding and you've made yourself a good little instrument of torture. Another part of the poor design is the inability to alter the inclination of the seat squab. The former VW I had, a Golf MK3 GL, had all the requisite adjustments and I never once had any issue. These Polo seats are terrible by comparison. Of course, it doesn't help that the OEM suspension is decidedly bouncy, which means that you're constantly jostled about, adding yet more discomfort to the driving experience.

Something I found that went partway to solving this discomforture problem was the acquisition of a memory-foam seat cushion that's simply placed on the squab, providing an extra 2 - 3 inches of padding. The cushion has a special cutout to prevent the coccyx from being under pressure while you're driving. It's lovely and comfortable. The only disadavantage with it is that from time to time you have to re-position it on the squab because it shifted as you were getting into the seat. Some slight readjustment of seat height, driving wheel position, etc position is required.

I've had it for 2 years now. Then bought a second one, for the front passenger seat. Not sure if they're still available but I bought it from a seller on Amazon (Ooage) for around £28. I found it on the Amazon site under 'Memory Foam Seat Cushion, orthopedic coccyx seat pillow for lower back pain, tailbone injury ..... wheelchair, car seat'.