VCDS advice

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dishwasher
New
Drives: 2010 6R S

VCDS advice

Post by Dishwasher »

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to get VCDS working with my 2010 6R S, but it doesn't seem to want to connect. I'm trying to do the set up, and I'm getting an error saying "Interface not found". Is this because I didn't buy the full "Ross-Tech" £200+ VCDS cable? Or have I just got it configured wrong? Any advice is welcome, thank you!

-Dishwasher.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: VCDS advice

Post by iichel »

If you bought a clone cable, there can be many things wrong with the 'hacked' software, it's very difficult to say what exactly the problem is.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Connect cable to laptop, then start installation of VCDS
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

Post by mirceaculita »

if you bought a clone cable you should disable any antivirus along with windows defender real time protection.
Dishwasher
New

Post by Dishwasher »

VCDS doesn't seem to want to play ball with the 3rd party cable. It came with a CD that included a .exe file that should make VCDS happy, but it's getting flagged by alllll my anti-virus/anti-malware as a virus. I don't want to install it on my company laptop in case it is a virus, so I'm going to try to install it on a friend's old laptop soon and go from there.

Has anyone else here paid up for the full Ross-Tech VCDS cable? Is it worth the money?

Thanks for the advice all!
-Dishwasher
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I have no regrets purchasing an original vcds cable
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

same here. No regrets at all

i bought mine a while ago but has helped a lot with my polo (mainly the data logging)
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Dishwasher et al,

I've a genuine VCDS, my interface device being a HEX-V2 with lead. I've had it and used it for some three years.

With the latest update to VCDS there was also a firmware update for the interface device itself, which I briefly forgot about at the time. When, after updating VCDS, I tried to check it out on my Polo, I got that "interface not found: communication failure" or some similar wording. I therefore had to disconnect it from the car and then open VCDS again, going this time into the section of it dealing with Configuration and Updates, and specifically running the firmware update. The new firmware then downloaded and installed. Then when I reconnected to the car, VCDS ran okay on the car and I was able to do what I originally intended, namely a test scan and to save the results for later output to a printer.

Although my Windows 10 laptop has Microsoft's default antivirus/firewall running in the background, I've never had to temporarily disable that for a VCDS update, although I have to say that with earlier versions of VCDS the two onscreen quickstart VCDS icons failed to generate during the installation and instead I had to derive those icons myself, post the installation. I couldn't find a reason for that and reported it to Ross-Tech. That was probably about two years ago. My theory at the time was that Windows's antivirus/firewall protection had got in the way and that perhaps I should have disabled it beforehand. However, in this very latest update those icons do automatically generate, despite the same Windows protection being left active. So it looks as though R-T has finally fixed that minor bug.

All I can say beyond that, Dishwasher, is that if you've purchased a pirated copy of VCDS (as seems to be implied by some of the responses here), or a cloned interface device and/or cable, then you can expect almost anything to happen. Buy and use the genuine article and rid yourself of any doubts over the product. Yes, it's a lot of money but, thus far, I for one have been satisfied with it.
Dishwasher
New

Post by Dishwasher »

Hi Veteran,

I appreciate your advice. I'm going to carefully consider purchasing one of the cables, along with the associated software. Thank you!

-Dishwasher
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

Dishwasher wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:48 pm Hi Veteran,

I appreciate your advice. I'm going to carefully consider purchasing one of the cables, along with the associated software. Thank you!

-Dishwasher
the software is free, the genuine cable is basically the unlock code for it
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

If you can afford it, buy it. Its just worth bot having to fuss around
Dishwasher
New

Post by Dishwasher »

Hi All,

I got it working! It seems to be happy. I've completed my BCM swap, from an 085 to an 087, but now I've got some fault codes that I'm struggling to get rid of. For the most part, it seems to be that the BCM thinks I have some features that I don't actually have, such as rear doors and heated mirrors. I'd like to add heated mirrors at some point, but rear doors might be a stretch. I've successfully copied the long coding and checked the install list, so I'm not sure what I need to do to fix this. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know what I need to do to get an RCL key paired to the new BCM? My car never came with remote central locking.

Thanks again for all the advice!
-Dishwasher.
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

Install list and disable rear doors
Dishwasher
New

Post by Dishwasher »

Hi Amer6R,

I'm struggling to find the option to remove the rear doors or the heated/powered mirrors within the install list. Here's a link to what my install list looks like: https://imgur.com/gallery/odAwYsN . Here's a download link to my most recent VCDS scan, showing a few weird things: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19xMvhJ ... sp=sharing

Any thoughts?
-Dishwasher
amer6R
Platinum Member

Post by amer6R »

We cant access the autoscan.