VW Extended warranty cover

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Mikeso51
Bronze Member
Drives: Blue GT. Also Audi A3 1.4tfsi.

VW Extended warranty cover

Post by Mikeso51 »

I am intending to buy a VW Extended Warranty, and I can ’t decide between the “Named Components” cover and the “All Components” cover. I am drawn towards the Named Components option since it seems to cover the main expensive items, and it’s cheaper. However, this cover excludes “consequential damage”, and I wonder if VW would use this to wriggle out of paying for a full repair. For example, if a gearbox bearing failed causing damage to other gearbox components, would they only pay for the bearing replacement?

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has had experience of making claims under Extended Warranty cover.

Mike
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: VW Extended warranty cover

Post by amer6R »

I think they would, they are bastards and this has been proven in the past.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve not personally bought VW’s extended warranty product, but it seems that quite a few forum members over on VWROC.com with Golf R’s have. Many of those over on that forum who’ve bought it consider it to be good value and offers them piece of mind. Not sure if they’ve made a claim under their extended warranty though - if they have and if they’d had a poor experience I have no doubt they would’ve posted about it on the forum!

All extended warranty products will have exclusions - same as an other insurance based product - and I dare say that the exclusions in VW’s warranty product will be pretty much the same as those in the majority (if not all) of other providers’ aftermarket warranty products. There’s always a chance that VW may use one of the exclusions to wriggle out of paying a claim. However, if you feel you’ve been unfairly treated in relation to the way a valid claim has been handled, then you can involve the Financial Ombudsman Service.

As an alternative to buying the extended warranty, you could always set up a contingency fund to help pay for any unexpected repairs. You might not have sufficient funds in your contingency pot to cover repair costs if anything major goes wrong, but the flip side is that if nothing goes wrong, then you’ve got a pot of money that you can use for whatever you please.
Mikeso51
Bronze Member

Post by Mikeso51 »

Thanks for replying SRGTD

I’ve never bought a warranty before, effectively relying on buying used cars carefully, maintaining them well, and shelling out from savings on the rare occasions that an unexpected failure occurred. With increasing age and affluence I am now able to buy new or fairly new cars, which are initially covered by the makers new car warranty. However modern cars have become so complex and expensive to repair that an unexpected major failure could easily produce a bill running into £1000s. The car in question is coming to the end of initial warranty, so the extended warranty looks attractive, not least because it is relatively inexpensive (£136 -£200 depending on options and excesses). This makes it seem like a no-brainer, but only if it will actually pay out in the event of a claim. Which is why I am looking for views from people who have actually made claims.
Dad
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 75 Match 2016

Post by Dad »

I would not buy the extended warranty again. My daughter bought 66 plate polo earlier this year and I paid for the named component cover with zero excess.

The car went in for a minor service a few months ago and the dealer said there was an error code (one of the misfire types). I mentioned the warranty and they said that they would need to charge about £130 to investigate the error code. The resulting work would likely be covered by the warranty as they believed the car may need a coil pack. They would then refund the £130 investigation fee etc.

When we picked the car up the bill was around £350 (supposed to be £185). They said the error code turned out to be one dodgy spark plug which they changed. As this was not covered under the warranty that meant the investigation fee was still payable. So we paid £185 plus about the same again to change one spark plug. Outrageous. I just felt we were completely ripped off and won’t be taking the car back to them.

Sorry, I realise this isn’t strictly about the extended warranty.....
Mikeso51
Bronze Member

Post by Mikeso51 »

Thanks Dad

I sympathise, but from what you say the issue was an excessive standard charge to investigate the error code, and poor customer service. I might have expected a reasonable dealer to have waived at least part of the charge when the fault was so trivial. However, since spark plugs are specifically excluded from the Extended Warranty I can see why a warranty claim would be rejected.
Dad
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 75 Match 2016

Post by Dad »

Yep. Agreed.