Fuel line rattle.. Grrr...

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Fuel line rattle.. Grrr...

Post by wolfie »

Anyone have a definitive fix for rattling fuel lines. Mine had the rattle and I solved it with a strategically placed piece of foam tucked in where the lines dive down the channel in the engine bay. That has worked fine for a very long time. However I was cleaning under the bonnet and moved said piece of foam and now no matter how hard I try I can't find the sweet spot that stops the rattle and it's driving me crazy. :cry:

Is there a permanent fix? I'm guessing it's going to be a case of dropping the under body protection and padding the lines with some sort of foam that wont absorb water. Are there holes to fit additional clips if I can find some??
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Fuel line rattle.. Grrr...

Post by amer6R »

Maybe using eps foam and zip ties?
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

amer6R wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:33 am Maybe using eps foam and zip ties?
I suspect it will it will end up being some "home brewed" concoction of cable ties and foam. I've got some self amalgating tape and thought if I can fine the spot where it's touching I'll wrap it with that. Think it's just going to be a case of biting the bullet, removing the plastic shields and finding the culprit.

It sounds like the point where they are rattling is just as the lines dive under the car. (the bit where I guess they bend the most)
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Shouldnt they be cliped in from the begining? Try to spot something unusual
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

amer6R wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:03 pm Shouldnt they be cliped in from the begining? Try to spot something unusual
Cheers. Good thought, maybe I've got a broken clip under the car or something not clipped as it should be. Everything I can see under the bonnet looks as it should. Could be as the lines have aged they've just become a little stiff.