Polo 1.2 TDI - clutch engagement, throttle response and other questions.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

Polo 1.2 TDI - clutch engagement, throttle response and other questions.

Post by mirceaculita »

Hello there,

As you saw in the title I have a 1.2TDI Polo from 2012 and I have some questions( most likely stupid ones ).

Clutch:

My clutch engages all the way up and it's really annoying. I assume this is because the clutch needs changing? Does a worn down clutch "grab" while the pedal is fully pressed?

Yesterday I had my car in gear and the clutch fully pressed while slowly rolling to a stop maybe at 10kph. For some reason I thought of revving the beast under the bonnet and noticed that when I slammed on the gas pedal the revvs dropped a bit and than started to raise like normal. This happened twice more and then it stopped. My non wrenching brain could only think of the clutch grabbing.

Throttle response:

This is a question for all the 1.2TDI owners. Does the engine also rev kinda slow? Whenever I slam the gas in neutral it takes around a second or two for the engine to start revving. (This also doesn't happen all the time). I sometimes find myself at a green light in first gear trying to get moving and when I slowly press the gas nothing happens. ( This may be because I'm not used to the clutch grabbing that high and not using it properly, but also the engine doesn't seem to stall. It just doesn't rev )

Weight affecting the car:(this is probably the dumber questions of them all)

This is my first car. Before I would drive my dad's 1.9TDI or my mom's 2.0TDI which had enough power I assume.

I haven't really experimented with it yet, just some observations I've made while driving alone and with other people. So the only way I can explain this is by top speed.

2nd gear alone - I can get to around 70kph
3rd gear alone - I can get around 110kph
(These speeds were around 10kph higher before upgrading from 14inch steels to 16inch alloys)

2nd gear with one person and one bag each - I top out at 60kph
3rd gear with one person and one bag each - i top out at 100kph
( Also I think the engine revs slower through the gears )

Sorry for the long post. I just need some clarifying and some insight of other 1.2tdi owners because I just feel like my car is slowly dying lol.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Polo 1.2 TDI - clutch engagement, throttle response and other questions.

Post by amer6R »

If im not mistaken these cars have single mass flywheel, and with SMF your clutch when you change it will grab low at first 1000 km, and after is all seated correctly, it will grab high. Only when your pedal becomes really stiff, and you notice it starts slipping than its toasted.

These cars have a s**t option, something like anti stalling control, when ur clutched in and depress the brake it will automatically give about 100 rpms, i hate it.

Anyway if i were you clean the anti shudder valve/ throttle body its probably dirty
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

Re: Polo 1.2 TDI - clutch engagement, throttle response and other questions.

Post by mirceaculita »

amer6R wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:57 am If im not mistaken these cars have single mass flywheel, and with SMF your clutch when you change it will grab low at first 1000 km, and after is all seated correctly, it will grab high. Only when your pedal becomes really stiff, and you notice it starts slipping than its toasted.

These cars have a s**t option, something like anti stalling control, when ur clutched in and depress the brake it will automatically give about 100 rpms, i hate it.

Anyway if i were you clean the anti shudder valve/ throttle body its probably dirty
Thanks for the reply.
I have one more question. I was playing with my dad's vcds cable and found that the accelerator position read only between 15% - 82%. Is this something to be worried about or is it normal?(doesn't sound normal imo) I couldn't find anything on it online.