2016 polo 1.2 TSI with a timing chain

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
jimbo84
New
Drives: Polo

2016 polo 1.2 TSI with a timing chain

Post by jimbo84 »

Hi all.

We've been looking at a 2016 (march registered) 1.2 TSI polo SE.

Very low mileage at just over 11,000 miles. Having a look under the bonnet it appears to have a timing chain (metal cover, plastic only at the very top) and is a twin cam engine). From my research and reading around mostly on here, after 2015 the 1.2 TSI should have a cambelt engine.

Is this a 2015 that's been sat around for a while in stock before being registered?

Am I right in thinking the 1.2 TSI chain driven cams were problematic and with being such a low mileage any problems may not have reared their head yet?

Runs almost silently, and is a very nice drive.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: 2016 polo 1.2 TSI with a timing chain

Post by iichel »

I took the liberty of changing your title from 2006 to 2016.
The MQB 1.2 TSI, 16V, will have a timing belt. The PQ25/35 1.2 TSI 8V will have a timing chain.
jimbo84
New

Post by jimbo84 »

Thank you for changing, I hadn't noticed the year error.

I was convinced it was a twin cam due to the shape of the plastic top cover but it sounds like I'm wrong.

Are the chain driven cams problematic on the 1.2TSI? I've seen some horror stories but you usually only hear about the bad ones and there must be a lot of these engines/cars on the road.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Chain driven cams aren't the best since the hydraulic tensioner seems to lose some tension over time.
The belt driven ones, the one you should have, are perfectly fine.

I think yours is a twin cam, but only has one cam driven by the belt.
The other cam is driven by a cog by the belt-driven camshaft.
jimbo84
New

Post by jimbo84 »

We've just bought it, it is a cambelt engine, confirmed by a VW parts centre. There's a lot more metal in front of the cambelt than I'm used to seeing.

Booked it in to have the belt changed too as it's due.

Are the water pumps driven by the timing belt too or are they off the auxiliary belt on this engine?
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The water pump is belt driven, but by a small toothed belt at the other end of the engine, off a cam shaft.

It is a bit early for a belt change, but maybe just easier for you to change now as you have just bought this car.

Belt on this engine is not a scheduled service activity, according to the official VW workshop manual, the general advice is to inspect it and replace when necessary, ie when it shows signs of wear - I'll be getting the belt on my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 16V 110PS replaced at 7 or 8 years state, its mileage is 31K at the moment.
jimbo84
New

Post by jimbo84 »

Thanks for the info, not heard of that set up with the water pump before.

It's only done 11,500 miles but I've had one snap in the past (not a VW) which wrote the engine off so I'm hyper sensitive about them, would rather get it done and then in theory no need to worry.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I can understand your logic!
Dads Work
New
Drives: 2014 Polo 1.2 TSi

Post by Dads Work »

Hi RUM4MO, I'm new to the forum.
Very interested in your cambelt comments on this thread,
and even more so on other threads in Dec 2017 and Oct 19 ...
Can you shed any more light on reported cambelt failures on 1.2 TSI CJZC engines?

My daughter's '64 Rec Polo 1.2 TSI 90PS was first registered in November 2014. She is the second owner.
It's mint, has a FDSH, but with 60,000 miles on the clock I thought a cambelt replacement would be wise.
I'm concerned about potential tension failure, thus thinking about getting the inlet camshaft variable timing pulley securing screws replaced as well.

I would appreciate your thoughts
Cheers
Peter
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

If the inlet pulley screws are still tight I would not bother about them as that car's engine, should have either been fitted with the later pulley at initial build or reworked on recall within warranty - if you take the plastic cover off you can inspect the pulley to see if there is any evidence of oil leakage through the pulley parts, the pulley would need to get replaced to walk away from that issue if you are concerned.

Cam shaft drive belt etc, if I was in your shoes, I'd also be suggesting that she got the cam belt etc replaced at this stage as it has just been bought and this would not need replacing while she owned it, ie get the use of the new cam belt.

I suppose you will just need to be lead by what VW supplies with the cam belt as part of the "cam belt kit" - I'm hoping, though that is not always a smart idea, that as these belts are "for life", the associated cam drive train is more substantial that it was with earlier "replace after X years or Y miles" cam belts that in all VW Group official workshop manuals did have a finite service life.

I would be good if you got back to us and told us what ended up being replaced and what it cost etc.