Outside wheel skipping when accelerating in a corner.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mirceaculita
Silver Member
Drives: 6R 1.2TDI 75hp

Outside wheel skipping when accelerating in a corner.

Post by mirceaculita »

I don't even know how to tell the story without sounding stupid so I'll just explain the steps.

The road is wet from the melting snow.
Turn off ESP.
Turn the wheel to the left around 90-120 degrees.
Floor it.

The outside wheel started to skip/bounce mid turn. I've done this with other cars, even on dry and their wheels didn't skip.

Can it be a mechanical failure or is it just me being a dumbass and using the car the way it was not meant to be used? Or both?
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Outside wheel skipping when accelerating in a corner.

Post by amer6R »

Skipping or knocking/ clunking noise/ clicking?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

What brand of tyres do you have and how worn are they?
mirceaculita
Silver Member

Post by mirceaculita »

amer6R wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:31 pm Skipping or knocking/ clunking noise/ clicking?
it is definitely skipping. There is no clunking on clicking.
mirceaculita
Silver Member

Post by mirceaculita »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:35 pm What brand of tyres do you have and how worn are they?
It not a popular brand, these are the winter tires I got from the dealership. They're almost not worn. The thread is very good.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Maybe your control arm bushing is worn, or stabilizator link.
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

Isn't this just wheel hop? I get this on my 2017 1.2TSI even on the slightest bit or urgency. Always the left front and on both worn and brand new tyres (215/40/17).

I heard that replacing the dogbone mount inserts help prevent/reduce this. I've been after the Vibratechnics mount (all rubber, not poly) to see if it actually works.
But then this car feels like the motor rocks a bit too much anyway, but that might just be me expecting everything to be racecar rigid. :D
mirceaculita
Silver Member

Post by mirceaculita »

2226 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:00 pm Isn't this just wheel hop? I get this on my 2017 1.2TSI even on the slightest bit or urgency. Always the left front and on both worn and brand new tyres (215/40/17).

I heard that replacing the dogbone mount inserts help prevent/reduce this. I've been after the Vibratechnics mount (all rubber, not poly) to see if it actually works.
But then this car feels like the motor rocks a bit too much anyway, but that might just be me expecting everything to be racecar rigid. :D
I assumed wheel skipping and wheel hop are the same, but yeah it felt like the wheel was hopping. It just never happened to me. It literally felt like the front right was about to fall off. I don't get it while trying to spin my wheels in a straight line, but at the same time, 75hp doesn't really spin the wheels for long enough when going straight.
I've done the same in a 2014 Octavia and the wheels stuck to the road like glue, but probably the suspension is different...

I just want to make sure the car is not damaged and this doesn't happen again.
I'll check the control arm bushing and the stabilizator link just to be sure.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

2226 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:00 pm Isn't this just wheel hop? I get this on my 2017 1.2TSI even on the slightest bit or urgency. Always the left front and on both worn and brand new tyres (215/40/17).

On the subject of thinking that the engine rocks too easily, my wife's 2015 1.2TSI 110PS SEL, got its gearbox mounting replaced with the TDI version while under warranty, I think that the original petrol engine version is too soft for these TSI engines - and VW Group should have thought about as well, I got the feeling that even without abusing that car, the original gearbox mounting had started to de-bond or otherwise "loosen up" - the dealer's first attempt to fix it was to apply a lot of Copper grease, it seems that that is what VW mothership demands as a first warranty attempt to fix any complaints about strange noises that a weak/broken gearbox mounting can cause!
Silver Member
Drives: Cross Polo 1.2TSI 2017

Post by 2226 »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:49 pm On the subject of thinking that the engine rocks too easily, my wife's 2015 1.2TSI 110PS SEL, got its gearbox mounting replaced with the TDI version while under warranty, I think that the original petrol engine version is too soft for these TSI engines - and VW Group should have thought about as well, I got the feeling that even without abusing that car, the original gearbox mounting had started to de-bond or otherwise "loosen up" - the dealer's first attempt to fix it was to apply a lot of Copper grease, it seems that that is what VW mothership demands as a first warranty attempt to fix any complaints about strange noises that a weak/broken gearbox mounting can cause!
Does that TDI version add a lot more vibration?
Then again, not sure even more vibration would bother me since my previous vehicle was a mk1 golf. :D
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe I was worried about that, but no, no different than when the original gearbox mounting was fitted, it was exactly what I planned to do based on what someone else had posted, if my VW dealership had not been willing to change anything.

Almost from new, the engine could be rocked back and forwards, which in itself did not bother me, it was just the shunting noises especially in hot weather that forced me to complain, after the original gearbox mounting appeared to have been removed > covered in copper based grease > refitted, the
car was okay for a couple of days, after they fitted this TDI version of gearbox mounting this problem disappeared - and the engine is a lot firmer, ie harder to rock back and forwards.

Note:- across the Skoda VW and SEAT brands, there does seem to be a slight variance in which gearbox mounting is used for these 1.2TSI 110PS engines, Skoda, I think, uses a unique part number on its 1.2TSI 110PS Fabia - if I had not been happy with what VW had done to solve that issue, I was willing or temped to buy in that Fabia part number and fit it as I was guessing that in order of firmness, there would be all TDI versions then Fabia 1.2TSI 110PS then all other petrol engined versions - though I could be completely wrong.

If I'm being completely honest, there is slight gearbox noises in some gears during certain rev ranges, but was that caused by my VW dealership abusing this car to make sure that the original fault had been cured, by abusing I mean breaking/messing up - these 6 speed gearboxes, or all the gearboxes from that family of boxes are known to be a bit nasty.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

What happens if you don’t switch off ESP?
mirceaculita
Silver Member

Post by mirceaculita »

Ricmondo wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:23 pm What happens if you don’t switch off ESP?
it just cuts off my power. It doesn't really have enough power to spin the wheels without esp off. When the car is driven normally it runs just fine. I think it may have been an isolated incident because I drove it pretty hard tonight and it was fine.
v12bug
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI 105PS 77 kW

Post by v12bug »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:31 pm Almost from new, the engine could be rocked back and forwards, which in itself did not bother me, it was just the shunting noises especially in hot weather that forced me to complain, after the original gearbox mounting appeared to have been removed > covered in copper based grease > refitted, the
car was okay for a couple of days, after they fitted this TDI version of gearbox mounting this problem disappeared - and the engine is a lot firmer, ie harder to rock back and forwards.
This appears to be a common issue..

I too own a 1.2TSI 110PS SEL and the engine too can be rocked fairly easily within the bay. Also experience very bad wheel hop on the nearside / passenger side wheel. Makes an awful knock / clunk, when moving off and changing up from 1st to 2nd. [It's not suspension related]

As mentioned, the dealers eventually tend to fit the more uprated mounts designed for larger engine types.. which appears to fix this known issue.

OE VW parts / LEMFÖRDER :

LEMFÖRDER Transmission / Gearbox Mount 29978 01
aka.
VW 6Q0199555AS

LEMFÖRDER Dog-Bone / Pendulum Mount Engine Mount (Rear) 36324 01
aka.
VW 6Q0199851AP

I have now purchased the above uprated mounts. and am ready to fit ASAP and report back :!:

Question is.

-Can someone confirm the Torque Specs for the mount bolts, please?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

So far I've only got the torques for the upper gearbox mounting bolts, but be warned all these bolts get tightened to a set torque then +90 degrees so they are getting torqued to yield and so must never be reused, each time VW worked on my wife's Polo they replaced all the bolts, 2+3+2 for the upper gearbox mounting.

"2 – off mounting to transmission bracket p/n WHT001835 fixing torque 50Nm + 90degrees and 3 – off mounting to body p/n N 10246611 fixing torque 40Nm + 90degrees and 2 - off mounting bracket to transmission p/n N 10703701 fixing torque 40Nm + 90degrees"

"short front bolt 40Nm + 90degrees long rear bolt 60Nm + 90degrees" I do not have the dog bone fixing bolts part numbers.