Help me repair and mod my 2016 Polo

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
VF169
New
Drives: 2016 Polo VW - CK16YGR

Help me repair and mod my 2016 Polo

Post by VF169 »

Hi 👋

My car is in need of some repairs and with me being furloughed I figured I’d save some money and use the time to learn and do the repairs myself, I’m also looking for some basic mods for my car.

Would really appreciate any help!

My car reg is CK16YGR 2016 Polo.

The repairs needed are;
Passenger quarter window
Anti-roll bar link
Inner rack joints
Track rod ends

Does anyone know where I can find the parts for replacement, the tools I’ll need and how to do it.

I appreciate it’s a lot to ask but any help would be awesome or even links to a guide I’d be happy to do the research
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Re: Help me repair and mod my 2016 Polo

Post by amer6R »

Torx T30, 21 mm spanner, 19 mm spanner, 17, 19 mm socket, ( grease the track rod ends)

For anti roll links also T30 torx, sockets.
Quoter window, car window sealant ( PU + primer)
Inner rack there is special tool but you can get them off with locking pliers and wrench pliers // same as VW mk6 procedure
spartacus68
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI (90PS) Blue motion

Post by spartacus68 »

For anti roll bar links, then Meyle HD parts are excellent.

You need two jacks, and axle stands for safety. The second jack is for reinstalling. You jack under the wishbone lower balljoint to get it to line up. In my experience, even with wire brushing exposed ARB threads and a liberal spay of Plus Gas penetrating release, it may not play ball. Along with Torx 30, it usually needs a 15 or 16mm thin wall spanner to stop it rotating. If that fails, angle grinder it off.

Tool wise, Halfords Professional socket sets are excellent. Lifetime guarantee. Anything by Laser, Draper and Sealy are also excellent. Avoid tools and parts of EBay unless you know what you are buying. Most are pattern parts made in China.

Track rod ends, actually main dealer price may be okay. Again if not Meyle HD or Lemforder are probably OE equipment anyway. You need two jacks, axle stands. Remove the nut on the tie-rod end, but not all the way off, after wire brushing. Again liberal spray of Plus Gas. Now jack up the car under the tie rod nut, enough to put pressure on it. The other jack is supporting the car weight. You can use a socket or similar so the pressure is on the right on the tie rod ball joint. Take a large lump hammer, couple of blows to the hub assembly it sits in, not the tie rod and it'll pop out. If it's goosed you can use a pickle fork, but it ain't pretty.

Before removing the tie rod, undo the thread. Again it will be seized on the locknut, needs Plus Gas and possibly heat. Hold the tie rod and back off the locknut. With the locknut backed off you can rotate the track rod end off. Now this is important. Count the rotations as you unwind it. When reinstalling, then rotate on the exact same number as you wind on, locknut added and nip up, etc.

If you're looking for videos, then check out Dave Sterl on YouTube, he's meticulous and explains everything. Also Kevin Albert-Williams. I know you are not doing the clutch, but he's popping off tie rods in every video.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

For me it sounds a bit early in life to replace the rack inner joints, which are part of the track rods, I've done that on a 2002 Polo when it was 10 years old and on a 2009 Ibiza when it was 8 years old, but only in the case of the Ibiza to try to stop an annoying issue with the steering, it didn't stop that though.

Edit:- maybe check ECP for the TRE and track rods, for previous models it was cheaper to buy TRE+rods as an assembly from ECP as opposed to a couple of TREs and a couple of track rods. Try to stick with what VW used which will be TRW, ECP might stock them. Prices from VW for these parts are quite high.

Another Edit:- opie oils quote Febi Bilstein parts, rod + end for £29.95 each side RHS 102246, LHS 102247, but they are not in stock, ECP sell Lemforder versions but nearer £70 a side - again not in stock.

So, either these parts are in big demand, which should not be right, or they re not being held as stock yet due to low/no demand.

I seem to remember there were quality issues with early cars, but mainly not VW ones and my wife's car with the 110PS version of your engine at 32K miles does not seem to be suffering from any looseness in the rack linkage - or not that I've noticed.
Last edited by RUM4MO on Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Turn the knucle and tire rod fill fall out. If not, just turn the nut couple of times and hit it. Tie rod fill fall out from knuckle