Polo GTI 2016 rear right wheel arch noise

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
matthew.bicknell
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Polo GTI 2016 rear right wheel arch noise

Post by matthew.bicknell »

Hi All,

Having a bit of a weird issue with my 2016 Polo GTI 5 door at the moment. I've noticed that when I'm driving there's a weird clicking noise coming from the rear drivers side boot area, more specifically above the wheel area in the boot.

This is a short video of the clicking noise: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkMrqw9ifexFgZEJKuw8OAe5WB3t7w

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I've already removed all of the trim in this area and there are no wires or anything loose just body panels. Does this sound like a suspension/shock related noise or could it be body panels rubbing together somehow?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Re: Polo GTI 2016 rear right wheel arch noise

Post by wolfie »

Bit of a long shot.

The fuel filler is in that rear quarter panel and it has a drain hole at the bottom to catch spills. There is a drain pipe that is pretty much dangling from the bottom of that filler housing. It just dumps any spilled fuel down the little pipe and onto the ground. It may be that pipe chattering against the bodywork??

If you lie on your back and shuffle under the car a little (looking up) under the back corner of the car you should be able to see where the pipe hangs down just to the rear of the wheel arch. Try giving it a rattle, see if that's it.

You can see it here...
https://youtu.be/7vEEYrOMwXk
Graham1701
New
Drives: GTi

Post by Graham1701 »

I think I can help you. I had the exact same trouble with my 2016 GTi. I was pulling my hair out trying to find the problem. I tore the inside of the car apart trying to find the problem, unnecessarily...

Eventually I tracked it down to top rear shock absorber mountings. On changing them also discovered my rear shock absorbers were on the way out. I replaced the rear shock mounts with good quality Lemforder ones and the shock absorbers with Bilstein B8's. Whisper quiet from then on and the Bilstein shocks are a lot better damped than standard.
It's worth noting my shocks were the standard type and not the adaptive ones. I don't know if the adaptive dampers have the same problem.

Also as a side note, I noticed you had your seat folded down so unlikely to be the issue but the seat back latch can rattle at low speed in the latched position on the driver's side, with no one sat in it. A spray of white grease in the latch can improve things.
Graham1701
New

Post by Graham1701 »

Also, if you are handy and have the tools they can both be changed in about half an hour. Literally 3 bolts. Do not use an air gun on the top suspension mount bolts! Threads can strip. I think they something like 30nm + 90 degrees, but please check. Good luck👍
matthew.bicknell
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Post by matthew.bicknell »

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your response. I've taken my car to the dealer (currently in there) and they've taken all of the rear wheel trim out etc. and cant seem to pinpoint the noise. they say the shock is visibly fine. Was your shock visibly fine and you just gambled changing it and then you were lucky that the noise stopped? They are saying they think it could be a failed spot weld. Any further advise would be very welcome. Was your noise pretty much the same as mine in the video on my original post?

Many thanks,

Matt
Graham1701
New

Post by Graham1701 »

Hi Matt,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Yes the noise was very similar to mine. I stripped all the trim from the inside of the car and sat in the back while my partner drove around for a while. It got a lot louder when all the plastics were removed but the location was still not very obvious. I too was wondering about a failed weld or the structure of the body shell.

Visually my shocks were fine and upon removal they appeared to work but there was a gap in the damping of one of them. They aren't the best dampers. The Bilstein ones are much better, a lot smoother and softer damped. Much improved ride quality. You must use Bilstein B8's as they are shorter for the GTi lowered suspension.
Also I'm sure a new set of oe ones would fix the problem but make sure the top mountings are also replaced.

https://www.awesomegti.com/brands/bilst ... olo-6r-6c/

I paid less than that on eBay.

The mountings.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/609 ... IAQAvD_BwE

Cheers.