What sort of fuel consumption can I expect from my Polo GTI?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
DannyJ
New
Drives: 6C GTI

What sort of fuel consumption can I expect from my Polo GTI?

Post by DannyJ »

Picked up a GTI. 66 plate, 1.8 manual. It's really lovely though I'm wondering what is 'normal' in terms of fuel consumption? The needle was at 3/8 on collection, and was run down almost to the zero mark when I refueled after 120 miles. That was with my foot down at times and really didn't seem too bad! The range estimation from first turning it over was fairly accurate to be fair, 10 miles ambitious.

Anyway, leave over, so back to work commuting in my new whip. This consists of 6.5 miles of 40mph urban roads which are never really too congested but involve lights, and 6 miles motorway, all driven smoothly and to the speed limit.

As I noticed with my last car, the fuel needle doesn't really move for 50 ish miles, which it eventually did. Start off my commute this morning with the fuel reading bang on the full marker, and finish it with it reading 7/8 following this 25-mile round trip. This is just under 80 miles since refuelling and the computer estimates a return of 38mpg with 300 miles until it wants a drink.

Does this sound about right? The needle dropping that much just seems a bit weird to me, unless it was actually moving before and I didn't notice! What should I expect?
And what do you get out of your GTI, do you find the trip computer to be accurate?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: What sort of fuel consumption can I expect from my Polo GTI?

Post by SRGTD »

I no longer have my 16 plate 6c GTI (replaced by an AW GTI+), and fuel consumption wasn’t a primary consideration when I bought it - if it was, then I’d probably have bought a diesel 😁. Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised as I used to get low 40’s overall. In my car, I found the fuel computer was slightly optimistic - from memory by about 5%.

Difficult to say what sort of fuel consumption you can expect or what is ‘normal’ as so many factors influence fuel consumption - e.g. driving style, speed, length of journey, cold or warm engine, volume of traffic, types of roads, town or out of town driving, ambient temperature, tyre pressure and brand of tyres, whether the car is fully laden or driver only, manual or DSG (there’ll no doubt be other factors in addition to these). I’d say don’t get too hung up on your fuel consumption - it’s a GTI so drive it and enjoy it! 🙂.
DannyJ
New
Drives: 6C GTI

Post by DannyJ »

SRGTD wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:46 am I no longer have my 16 plate 6c GTI (replaced by an AW GTI+), and fuel consumption wasn’t a primary consideration when I bought it - if it was, then I’d probably have bought a diesel 😁. Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised as I used to get low 40’s overall. In my car, I found the fuel computer was slightly optimistic - from memory by about 5%.

Difficult to say what sort of fuel consumption you can expect or what is ‘normal’ as so many factors influence fuel consumption - e.g. driving style, speed, length of journey, cold or warm engine, volume of traffic, types of roads, town or out of town driving, ambient temperature, tyre pressure and brand of tyres, whether the car is fully laden or driver only, manual or DSG (there’ll no doubt be other factors in addition to these). I’d say don’t get too hung up on your fuel consumption - it’s a GTI so drive it and enjoy it! 🙂.
Yeah I think you're spot on with the latter. The consumption can't even be that bad compared to the old shed I was driving.
It's great fun to drive and the kit is all I could ever really want. Come with Bilstein B16 so it sticks to the road like s**t on a blanket and goes just as well.
sd17
New
Drives: 2016 6C GTI

Post by sd17 »

I have a 16 plate GTI w/ DSG and commute c. 40 mins to work and back each day, mainly 30 and 50 zones. Avg. MPG is in the high 30's when driven sensibly. Expect mid 20's or so when you're having some fun.