Check oil level warning not switching off after adding oil

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dad
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 75 Match 2016

Check oil level warning not switching off after adding oil

Post by Dad »

It’s almost a year since my daughters Polo was serviced at the main dealer and the next service we want to delay a few months to coincide with the MoT.

The Check Oil Level light appeared. The oil was at the bottom of the dipstick so I added a litre of oil and the reading is now at the upper level of the dipstick. However the check oil level light won’t go off.

I read a few stories on Google about the bonnet catch wiring. Upon checking I noticed that the dash shows any door that is open including the hatch door. However it does not register the bonnet being open so I’m assuming that this may indeed point to the bonnet catch wiring issue?

Is there a quick fix to test this or a work around? I think I can see two brown wires that run from the water bottle area on the left .. along towards to the bonnet catch, are these the offending wires? If so is it possible to snip these and join them together to trick the car into thinking the bonnet has been opened and closed? I don’t really want to remove the front grill etc to get at the bonnet catch wires unless there is no way around it.

Any advice appreciated.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Check oil level warning not switching off after adding oil

Post by iichel »

is it your oil level warning or your oil pressure warning?
Dad
New

Post by Dad »

It’s the message on the info display that says “check oil level” under the image of an oil can. The oil level was at the low end of the stick.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I see. I'm unsure whether the bonnet catch has any role in this, but it is indeed the wiring you describe. You can connect both wires to see if it makes a difference. I'd be surprised if it did.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

Mk5 golfs have this issue, all because of hood switch
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

amer6R wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:56 pm Mk5 golfs have this issue, all because of hood switch
I'd think Polo will also have this feature, ie it does not matter how much oil you add, if the car does not recognise that the bonnet has been opened, it will not cancel that low oil level warning - so yes unplug the cable to that switch and stuff shorting link on it, if that clears the low oil warning, then you need a new switch. If it does not, check the wiring that connects to that switch.
amer6R
Platinum Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2010 1.6 TDI

Post by amer6R »

If you have a diagnostic tool, clear DTC's in engine module it should reset the reading.
Dad
New

Post by Dad »

Thanks all. My daughter never seems to be at home for me to actually spend some time with the car! She’s off on holiday next week with her pals so I’ll have the car for a week. Will report back.
Bobupndown
New
Drives: None

Post by Bobupndown »

More regular checks on oil level? Never seem a low oil level warning on any car I own.
TrebleTA
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 GTI (6r)

Post by TrebleTA »

It also the same If water was low, need to open bonnet to remove even if coolant not toped up, I had that when it was real cold, the vw coolant compressed.